Do you think that being "just a homemaker" has become a respected choice again?

In the 50s (not to mention, for quite sometime beforehand), society praised women for devoting their days to homemaking and child-rearing. Then the women's lib movement came along, and this lifestyle slowly started to be viewed as "women wasting their potential".
My mother was a STAHM for many years throughout the 80s and 90s. At social events, people would talk to my dad for a minute, then generally ask "and what do YOU do Shirley?" She would answer with "I'm a mother" or "I'm a homemaker", and recalls instantly being treated like she was somehow less interesting to talk to (being dismissed with an offhand "Oh" or "That's nice). Sometimes she was even then asked "But what do you DO?"!
I am also a SAHM, but we seem to be greeted differently today. More people seem to once again think that our choice is something to be admired for.
Do you think society's views are turning again?

KarmicChild

Asked by KarmicChild at 6:27 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Just for Fun

• No, I don't... you see it here everyday saying that sahm's are lazy, and mooching off their hubbies.

Not sure that people will ever see it like they did back in the day
    EternalDreams

Answer by EternalDreams at 6:29 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• No, not really.... at least I haven't experienced it.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 6:30 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I don't get it either. My hubby and I made the decision together for me to stay home. I think there is way too much emphasis put on what we "do' for a living. When I did work my job didn't define me! I love being at home and there isn't anywhere else I would want to be. Who knows what I would miss out on if I was working outside the home.
    rlhall1980

Answer by rlhall1980 at 6:40 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I do...but let me chide a bit you for your phrasing. "Just a homemaker?"

**grin**

I think people are starting to get the idea that the whole POINT of women's liberation was to make sure women had equal rights, equal pay for equal work and the ability to determine their future based on THEIR desires, not those of their fathers and husbands.

I don't think a woman is wasting her life in choosing to be a homemaker if that's what she truly wants.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:42 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• When anyone asks what I "do", I just say I'm a Mom.. That's my job. If they have the nerve to say something like, "why don't you work", I then reply with, "We can afford for me to stay home, it was a decision my Hubby and I made together"... They don't like it, and don't have anything to talk about with me because I don't have a job outside the home, then I probably don't hang out with them anyway. I haven't ever been put down for it, but I'm sure I have been behind my back.. Oh well, I don't live my life to make others happy, just myself and my family...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 6:48 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• My home has been happier & financially more stable since I became a homemaker. There is less money spent on gas, eating out, child care, so more money is available for bills. It also put us in a lower tax bracket.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:23 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I think maybe it's a little better. However, I think my SIL's maybe still look down on me a little for "depending" on my DH to bring in all the income. I like the movie "Mona Lisa Smile" and how it addresses that, basically showing that the beauty of being a strong woman was that they had the potential to CHOOSE--and one of the most "promising" young women in her class CHOSE to be a home-maker. I love being a SAHM! I believe that my job is every bit as important as my husbands, but as you can see, even by one of the PPs, not everyone views it that way, even today. :(
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 7:29 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Only on Cafe Mom have I seen or experienced being a sahm as not being respected. Surprisingly most of the people I encounter are very receptive to our choice. If I wasn't a sahm it would cost us over $700 a month for childcare. Not to mention I probably would have been fired a long time ago with all of the sick days, Doctors appointments and so on that are required for four kids. My Husbands schedule works out so that he can have 2 full time jobs and still be able to spend time with family.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 7:44 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• baby dusthomemaker='oh you dont work'.........LOL I get it all the time. Now I dont bother explaining that I DO work. I have more jobs than most people in a job outside the home and dont get paid. My payment is seeing my home nice and my children happy. Nuff said!

Kathy7_20

Answer by Kathy7_20 at 9:27 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I think in general people are accepting of it. I think women are generally harder on other women. I havent encountered a negative experience. But I have focused on our baby and I have the time now to focus on her and my husband. My husband is in the army, so the time we have together I appreciate more than I did before he was in the service. There is alot of time away and if I had a job that would be even more time apart. There are alot of judgemental people on here who constantly bash. Dont let them bother you. It is a personal choice and not for everyone. I hope you enjoy it and best wishes to you and your family.
    Sillybillymel

Answer by Sillybillymel at 10:53 PM on Apr. 20, 2010