How can I get my 9 month old to sleep through the night?

My 9 month old is still not sleeping through the night. He sleeps at 9pm then wakes up at 1 am for milk and around 4am for milk. He only drinks about 4 oz each time. God! What should I do? I tried feeding milk with oatmeal, but he still wakes up. I know he needs to cry it out, but I don't want to wake up my family members, are there better alternatives?

melody1881

Asked by melody1881 at 6:45 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Honey, I wish there was! Or at least nothing that worked for my little guy. He didn't sleep all night til he was almost 1. I've heard classical music can help...maybe try that.
    rlhall1980

Answer by rlhall1980 at 6:46 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Melody, if he wakes up ONLY twice he's actually sleeping VERY well. Through the night, clinically, is a mere five hours in a row, and it's often not acheived with consistency in the first year. Dusk to dawn? Give it another year or so.

Sleeping longer is something HE has to grow into. You can't make him do it. But check out "The No Cry Sleep SOlution" for methods to encourage sleep.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:47 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• My mom told me baby boys have a hard time sleeping through the night. Is it just boys??
    melody1881

Answer by melody1881 at 6:48 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• No. It's BABIES. Period. Sleeping all night is not something to look for in year one, boys or girls.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:50 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Only getting up at those times, I say he is doing pretty good. You can't make a baby sleep through the night unless you drug them & that would be really wrong.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 6:56 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Like the PPs said, you can't MAKE a baby sleep through the night. I have a lot of friends who have let their babies CIO from early on, and their babies DO sleep through the night, but I haven't chose to do that, and wouldn't necessarily recommend it (although I'm not dead-set against CIO like a lot of moms on here are). The only thing I would suggest is putting him to bed earlier. I've heard and read that babies sleep better if they have an early bedtime. My DS goes to bed at 7 pm and wakes up 2-3 times between then and 7 a.m. It's really helpful for me to have that evening time to myself, as well. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• From everything I have read, there is no medical reason for a baby to be waking up several times/night at 9 months. All 4 of mine were sleeping 8 plus hours by 2 months. If you cut down on the nighttime feedings, there is less reason for baby to wake at night and they will take in extra calories during the day. If he's only taking 4 oz, he's probably not really hungry anyway but waking out of habit. Work on one feeding at a time, reducing the amount by an ounce each night until you aren't feeding him at all when he wakes.
    Babies can and do sleep through the night consistently before a year old!

Answer by missanc at 7:55 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• i have an 8 month old and like the previous poster stated, he is waking up out of habbit. he doesnt need his bottle. he will only drink two oz and fall back asleep. i cant let him cry it out either. however instead of milk at those nightime feedings he gets water. and he hits or misses sleeping throught the night. but we just started this methoud. make sure he eats good before bed though.
    KJ_on

Answer by KJ_on at 8:32 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• "From everything I have read, there is no medical reason for a baby to be waking up several times/night at 9 months. All 4 of mine were sleeping 8 plus hours by 2 months."

Lucky you! I've personally never slept that many hours straight unless I was sick!

File it under "everyone is different." There's really no medical reason to expect anyone to fit a particular sleep pattern.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:26 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• missanc.. that's complete and utter b if I've ever heard any.

Have you ever heard of people with fast metabolisms (me)?? Or.. how about the fact that it's very common for a 9 month growth spurt -- and in that case their little body is expending enormous amounts of calories in order to GROW.... If you deprive them of night-time nutrients (4 oz is a LOT of calories for a little body!!!!) you could see their growth spurt falter or their brain will get starved of nutrition. If they get hypoglycemic they will start to get acidosis, and then their brain cells start to die.

Are you freaking kidding me.. "There is no medical reason for a 9 month old to wake up"

Maybe you are happy with your kids not reaching their full mental potential but most of us (me) would like to see our children develop to their fullest capacity. I do NOT CARE if your kids have developed "wonderfully" like that. I won't say what I really want to.
    Anonymous