How do I get my almost 9 month old to allow me to

feed her while my oldest (9 yrs old) is home. As soon as she comes home from school my 9 month old wants nothing to do with me. She just wants her older sister. I tried to feed her & she screams & screams, but once my 9 yr old starts to feed her she is fine. I don't want people to think I am making her feed her because I am not. Any suggestions would be great. Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:50 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think it's great that they are bonded like that and I agree that if the 9 yo doesn't mind there is nothing wrong with it. If you really want to break the habit though maybe you could try feeding her in a different room from where your 9 yo is. Just go into your bedroom or something and shut the door.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:09 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I don't have any suggestions for you really, but if your 9 year old doesn't mind doing it, then why not? I wouldn't see a problem with it, and its really nobody else's business anyways, as long as your baby is being fed, thats all that should matter. ;) Hmm, maybe try finding something that your 9 month old can feed herself?? Goodluck!
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 6:56 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I'd say let your older daughter feed the baby too, at least until the 9 year old doesn't want to anymore. When that happens, the baby won't starve herself, she'll accept food from you, I am SURE of it!!!! I also really like the idea of allowing the baby to feed herself more. Very good idea!!! Good luck!!!!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:01 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• i have the same issue my daughters aunt is 7 yrs old and she absolutely loves her! if you honestly dont want her to act like that even if she cries tell ur daughter to go where the baby cant see her she'll cry for another minute and then just take the bottle from you..after a while she'll get used to it
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 7:05 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I know you don't want to appear like you're making your 9-year-old "mother" your daughter, but I agree with the PPs... go ahead and let her, if she doesn't mind. I actually think it's ok and even healthy for older kids to help out. That's just my opinion.... Good luck!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 7:13 PM on Apr. 20, 2010