How old are kids usually when they start climbing out of the crib?

How old are kids usually when they start climbing out of the crib? My son is 16 months and all he does is stand up in bed and throw stuff sometimes. And I wonder if one day that will lead to him climbing out of the crib.

hperkins06

Asked by hperkins06 at 7:00 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son was 10 months before he could walk well! He hit the floor so hard it is very scary when it happens but he was alright. Is your tot doing it now?
    Sarahedger

Answer by Sarahedger at 7:02 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• My DD has already started climbing out of her crib and she just turned 8 months old.
    I literally just lowered her crib two days ago because she got out of it and fell on her face twice.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 7:07 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• My first climbed out at 18 months... we switched to a toddler bed within a week or two. The baby is 15 months now. He doesn't climb out yet but I saw him put his foot over the top edge a week or two ago so it's just a matter of time. We are about to switch him to a twin bed. I would like to switch his bed before he figures out how to climb out. (=
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 7:15 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• My DD is 30 months and I still have her in her crib because she hasn't tried to climb out yet. She LOVES her crib and I figure why fix something if it's not broken? lol.
    mommy2bella

Answer by mommy2bella at 7:20 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• i have 2 yo twins, one climbed out at 17 months, the other can' t do it yet.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:41 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I stopped it before it started! LOL! We wiped a thin layer of valseine along the side panel and on the bars. She couldn't get a good grip and kept sliding down. We did this near her first birthday and she is still in her crib at 22 mos. I intend to keep her there until she is night time potty trained.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:17 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• neither one of my boys ever did. i don't think all kids do
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:51 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I switched my son's crib into the toddler bed at 17 months. I made sure his room was extra clean and safe. He never climbed out because I never waited for it to happen. He's fallen out of bed 2 or 3 times in the last year, but he's so close to the floor that he's okay. I would rather that happen then have him climb up and fall down.
    brookebella

Answer by brookebella at 12:31 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• My daughter fell out of the crib at 15mths so we moved her to a toddler bed.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 12:40 AM on Apr. 21, 2010