When should I talk to my 9 yr old about "periods"?

From what I remember I started mine around 5th grade & she is about to be in 4th. I would like her to know this information so she does not freak out like I did since no one ever talked to me about it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:04 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I have two daughters, ages 10 and 11. I have recently purchased each of them a set of the American girl book "The Care and Keeping of You" and the journals to go with the book. It is WONDERFUL! It explains everything and has REALLY opened up the lines of communication for them with me. I was TERRIFIED when I "started'. I thought I was hemorraging and dying! I want them to know what's up and have the "stuff" they need no matter where they are when it comes. I think it's VERY "age appropriate" for them. I'm glad I did it.
    TimandMely4ever

Answer by TimandMely4ever at 7:24 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• My mom started talking to me about 4th grade... that was when she got hers so she thought I'd get mine then too. I actually got mine when I was 13 instead of 8 like my mother and was the last one in my whole graduating class to get it!
    Anonymous

• Do it now, she is on the verge better be before than after. No one ever told me and for the longest time, I thought I had somehow cut myself down there, not a pleasant thing to go through.

Answer by older at 7:07 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Now, kids are starting younger and younger better too get it out too soon than too late.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, now is probably a good time. I would hardly let my mom talk about it. I was so grossed out. Unfortunately, I missed some vital information, because when I started my period at 12, I thought I was going to bleed every day for the rest of my life! I was depressed, needless to say!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 7:45 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Now. I just had the long conversation with my 8 year old - she handled it very maturely and has asked a few questions since, but I feel better about her knowing what's going to happen.

Answer by missanc at 8:17 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• i would start talking now. at least she will know she can come to you. here they start videos/info in 4th grade....it wouldnt hurt to start talking to her. she might already know some things or think she knows some things so it would be good to feel her out. and go from there.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:13 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Now. Even if she hasn't started and won't for a while, theere are changes happening. Your parts enlarge, etc. I thought I was growing a penis lol. I also thought I was dying when I got my period.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 9:21 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• NOW.... my kids knew that woman bled from 2 or 3... even my son. It shouldnt be a BIG talk... it should have just trickled out. But do it ASAP.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Apr. 21, 2010