When should I let my child start shaving her legs? What about her underarms?(no hair yet)

She comes home all the time saying kids tease her because of her hair leg. So should I go ahead & let her shave them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:05 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I would...my mom didn't so I tried to do it without her knowing. She started to come in the bathroom at that time and I shaved a good four inches of skin off my leg trying to get it done. It isn't fun when kids laugh tease you. I went through and I don't think anyone should have to. Let her save at least to her nee. I know it's hard to see why she should be able to...I know my mom didn't understand, after all I was just a baby in here eyes. And when I grew hair "down there" my sister would call me bush infront of everybody...so everybody made fun of me for that too. So teach her how to shave her legs and when she get's hair, tell her how to trim it. I'm 26 years old now and my sister will still call me bush just to piss me off. My point is that it stays with you for life.
    GotToHaveFaith

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 7:16 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• How old is she? What grade is she in? I let mine start at age 11 when she started getting armpit hair.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:11 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• my dd started at 12. she shaves her legs and underarms. when i was lil i got made fun of for my leg hairs and it really hurt my feelings...im in my 30s now lol.i have dark hair so u could see it. my sd started when she was 10 shes blond but was very hairy thck leg hairs so she asked me and i told her to talk to her mom she did and started shaveing. but can come to me w/ any questions.. one rule.....dont use my razor. my dd gets the 2 blade razors like the womens bic's.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 7:30 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• If she's getting teased I'd go ahead and let her do it. She'll end up doing it behind your back anyways, this way you can show her how and make sure she's using a decent razor and enough cream or soap to keep from getting razor burn or cuts.
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 8:02 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Could you help her apply nair? I had to use that until I started growing underarm hair.
    Rileysmom425

Answer by Rileysmom425 at 9:57 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I was allowed when i was 12... My daughter can also when she is 12... but we are big hippies so if she doesnt want to she doesnt ecessarily have to.

http://motherxhubbard.blogspot.com/
    XxPixiesworldxX

Answer by XxPixiesworldxX at 11:46 PM on Apr. 20, 2010