Gay rights activists heckle Obama at Democratic fundraiser?

President Obama is used to hearing his name yelled angrily at conservative Tea Party protests. On Monday night, however, he faced hecklers at a more unlikely venue: a Democratic fundraiser in Los Angeles for California Sen. Barbara Boxer.

And yes, the hecklers were attacking the president from the left. "Repeal 'don't ask, don't tell'!" the protesters yelled, referring to the 1993 military policy that bans gays and lesbians from openly serving. Obama responded, "We are going to do that; hey, hold on a second, hold on a second."

Did Obama throw gays under the bus the way Clinton did?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:15 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Did Obama throw gays under the bus the way Clinton did?

Yes. He campaigned kissing their ass so they'd support him. Gay rights groups have been protesting him for over a year, but it never gets any mainstream attention. If you read the GLBT blogs, though, you see a LOT of hate (deserved, not irrational).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:47 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Anonymous

• I don't think so, I think he will eventually do right by them. He already made visitation rights in hospital happen.

Answer by older at 7:28 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Visitation rights effect all patients not just gays.I do not understand why some are trying to make that all about gays.
    Anonymous

• Obama has made it quite clear he doesn't support gay marriage, and he has certainly taken quite a bit of time acting on "Don't ask, Don't tell".

Visitation rights are just a way to pacify, most hospitals allow it anyway. I visited my GF all the time when she was in the hospital and no one said a thing.
    Anonymous

• Obama doesn't care about gays and gay rights. Just more lip service to get our vote, then he will shaft us.
    Anonymous

• Well that is ONE thing that I can agree with him on... If he doesn't support gay marriage and continues to take his time on repealing the 'don't ask, don't tell'... GOOD for him!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 7:45 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• lol he is not going to touch this issue with November ahead.
    Anonymous

• anon, Visitation rights effect all patients not just gays.I do not understand why some are trying to make that all about gays.

No one said it was all about gays.

Answer by older at 7:57 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Giving hospital visitation rights to gays is little more than pandering to a reliably Democratic voting bloc.

Obama has refused to take concrete steps toward a repeal of a policy that bans gays and lesbians from serving openly in the military, though as a candidate he pledged to scrap Clinton-era rules. He similarly has refused to step in and block the dismissal of gays and lesbians who face court-martial for disclosing their sexual orientation.

I see the bus coming, and gays and already under it.
    Anonymous