Why does my washer smell?!?

So, my toddler is potty training, meaning we have lots of smelly laundry daily. The trouble is, our front loader seems to leave the urine odor in his clothes, and then it sticks around in the tub, where it makes other clothes smell like urine! I have never heard of this issue, what do we do about it???

MommyChristina1

Asked by MommyChristina1 at 8:03 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try doing an empty load with about 3 cups of vinegr. Also make sure you clean the rubber seal with vinegar as well. Pay particular attention to the inside seam as it tends to catch water.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:08 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• i think clorox makes a cleaner specifically to wash and sanitize the front loading washers, so i would get a bottle of that. and also, make sure to leave the door open after you empty out the clothes so it can air out
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:08 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Maybe run it empty with only bleach?
    Anonymous

• I appreciate all your answers. I have bought the cleaner specifically for this washer, and used it, and it works...but it just seems like I shouldn't have to do that after every load of clothes??? Seems very wasteful to me. Is that wrong? Do you guys clean the washer after each load of yucky clothes? And it seems like it should get the urine smell out of the clothes? Right? LOL I HATE MY FRONT LOADER!
    MommyChristina1

Answer by MommyChristina1 at 8:11 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• It's the front loader ...not your clothes!! And I will stress that I hate my front loader with a passion!!! (the dryer too). Our washer stopped working recently and I had my ex-husband come over to look at it (thank god he knows this stuff because I can only imagine the bill I would of gotten). He pulled out a hose/pipe from the back ...forced water through it in the shower ...and out came huge chunks of moldy smelling linty stuff. It was so gross!! And I have always done the special cycles like the other people mentioned ...I've done it with vinegar, bleach, baking soda, etc. And I've pulled out the drawer (where you put the soaps in) and found mold behind that too. Sooo....try pulling that drawer all the way out and if you know someone who can take apart the washer in the back ...maybe have them pull out the hoses and rinse them through.
    Anonymous

• I don't understand what you all are talking about having all these problems with your front loaders I love mine and I do gross loads and no smell is left after the gross loads and I don't have to have someone take my back off to push anything thur. I have had my front loader for 5 years and I LOVE IT and will never go to a top loader ever again. So I have no problems over here I hope you all find a solution for all the issues you all are having and become to be happy with your front loader as I am.
    Anonymous

• i sold my front loader set on craigslist less than 6 months after buying it (brand new) for this same reason. it was moldy and it smelled like sewage! i went back to a regular old fashioned washer and dryer. so maybe my electric bill is a few dollars more, but at least my clothes don't smell like mold!

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 8:49 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Sometimes it isn't the washer itself but the water that remains stationary between loads. Using a liquid detergent can worsen this as the soap suds get trapped in the rubber seal and end up molding. After washing with vinegar try switching to a powder detergent and apply on top of th eclothes before shutting the door and running a load.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:55 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• idk if this will help but leaving the door open in loads will help it not get moldy and smell weird
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 10:24 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• ***sorry ment to say IN BETWEEN loads lol
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 10:25 PM on Apr. 20, 2010