My knees hurt since I have started running

I have just started running about two weeks ago and my knees are killing me. I went out last weekend and bought a new pair of running shoes thinking that was the problem. But it hasn't helped. I tried running this evening and just couldn't do it. A girl I work with says it could be from running on asphalt. If that is the case what running shoes do you recommend?

nurbabe82

Asked by nurbabe82 at 8:28 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• treadmillI don't think it's the shoes. I think you have to get used to running. My Physical Therapist says it's awful for knees but I found a simple exercise to help when i have knee problems. They are mini squats. Just squat a few inches (maybe 6), legs about 10 inches apart. Do 30, 3 times a day. See if that helps. I couldn't find a sweet pea running!

Answer by admckenzie at 8:42 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• i have this problem when i run too. i have tried all sorts of different shoes and custom fit orthotics, but they don't help me. because i want to walk when i am 80, i choose not to run today. i use an elliptical...no pressure on the joints. walking does not effect my knees like running does. you could try seeing a chiropractor regularly...i do, but it doesn't counter the pounding on the pavement. i heard one woman on here mention barefoot running, it sounds really cool, if i were not feeling so old, i might give that a try!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:43 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• nurbabe82
    icant answer u question but i have
    joint d gym 3 weeks
    ago n i
    do not knwo was going on
    but
    i
    been
    feeling
    lots of
    pain in my knees ihad 2 stop 4
    4 or 5 days
    munequita01

Answer by munequita01 at 8:44 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• did you walk before you started running? It could be all the pressure from just doing it outright.
    Anonymous

• I walked for 2 weeks prior to running and I'm not just straight running the entire time a little to out of shape for that lol. I run for a little bit then walk catch my breath and run a little bit more. I have been thinking about using my mom's gym in her development for the elypitcal (sp) but I can't stand being stuck inside a gym for 30 + mins going no where fast lol it bores the hell out of me. But if it means my knees won't hurt than I will do it =(
    nurbabe82

Answer by nurbabe82 at 9:06 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• You need to stretch before getting onto the treadmill. After stretching you should warm up by walking for about 5 minutes before beginning any type of running. After running, you need to cool down by walking for 5 minutes and then stretching after you get finished.
    It is completely normal for your knees to be sore when beginning a running regimen. Mine still get sore, but I stretch and I also do other workouts. I exercise 6 days a week, but I alternate between running a couple of miles, doing DVDs, Yoga, and lifting weights.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 11:11 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Yeah, your knees need to adjust. When I started working out again, I was in major pain, but my knees are used to it now and no longer painful. I also started taking glucosamine supplements for the joints.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:31 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I had knee pain when I first started running too. Probably just getting use to running. I started taking glucosamine/chondroitin supplements which helped some. It the pain continues though i would see your dr. I had IT band issues with one knee. I was given some excercises to do at home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Apr. 23, 2010