what do you think the greatest store-bought food short-cut is?

i always make things from scratch so don't give me that crap lol, but i absolutely love the pre-cooked bacon. it's actual real bacon..... just it's already been cooked. i love the fact that if someone wants just a few pieces of bacon with breakfast i can put it on a paper towel and microwave it for like 30 seconds and it's done. no grease on my stove, counter, etc. (and your hair won't smell like greasy bacon smoke all day lol). it's also great for if you're making a recipe (like broccoli salad) and need cooked bacon that's not hot. love it!

princessbeth79

Asked by princessbeth79 at 8:43 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I am a sucker for rotisserie chicken. Buy a chicken, open a can of baked beans, we got lunch and I don't lift a finger.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 8:46 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I've never tried that bacon before, but I agree that it stinks when you get your stove all greasy and I hate smelling like bacon all day!

I like to buy frozen chopped pepper and onion mixes. If I'm putting in a pan to saute or I'm making an omlet it's great! It cuts my time in half because I don't have to chop and clean up all that stuff! It's not the same for roasting though so for that I use fresh veggies :)

I also love store bought 4C bread crumbs. I know I can make my own (and I do in a pinch) but I really like just having a tub of it waiting for me pre-seasoned and everything.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:48 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• definitely noodles! i really do love my homemade noodles, and i'm proud to have the skill to make them from scratch (not that it's hard, just time consuming). but having a bag of ready to boil noodles on hand is such a relief some days! also sliced white bread is an every day thing in my house.

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 8:54 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• This is sad and I am almost embaressed to admit it but...I love the premade frozen pancakes and waffles,lol. Don't get me wrong..on the weekends..its all from scratch, okay. But during the week getting my son off to school in the morning,feeding him and my baby breakfast and then the stream of kids I babysit coming in..it is just sooo much easier to microwave pancakes as the kids come in, IF thats what they want to eat. And the blueberry ones are really good,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:55 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• eatingBagged salad

Answer by admckenzie at 8:56 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

This is our version of fast food..... Rotissere chicken, bagged salad, and fresh apples, canteloupe, and strawberries for dessert...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:46 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I'm with adm - the bagged lettuces! I love picking my own lettuce out of the garden, but the bags are so much easier, lol! I bought a huge tub of organic lettuce tonight - I hope it lasts 2 days!
    Anonymous

• I remembered another one... frozen pre cut onions and green peppers. I always keep some in the freezer to throw into a dish if I need them. Then you don't have all the onion cutting fuss. But I do use fresh onion for some things because the freezer ones make things watery.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:30 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I use to do the frozen onion thing too...love them but now I just buy a bag of onions and used the processor and freeze them myself. Same with the green peppers, find some that are on sale or buy in bulk and chop and freeze.

Chicken broth is my hidden store bought. I always want to use my whole bird on Sundays to make the broth but it never happens.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 10:52 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I buy a lot of the prepared stuff from Costco. They have rotisserie chicken, the best take and bake pizzas, shrimp salad, and fruit salad. I would rather spend $15 on a big fruit salad than buy a bunch of fruit and cut up pineapple and mangoes and stuff. I also love bagged salad mixes.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:01 PM on Apr. 20, 2010