What does it mean to get your membranes stripped?

And how does it feel? Does it hurt a while lot? And how well did it work for you?How far along were you when you had it done?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:13 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It didn't hurt that badly for me. Some mild cramping for a couple of hours, but that was all. Went into labor 3 days later, but I don't think it was because my membranes were stripped.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:31 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I had my membranes stripped at 40 wks 2 days. It hurt like hell AFTERWARDS! That actual stripping didn't feel like much but a bubble popping. All it is, is your doctor takes 1 finger and tears your membranes from the uterine wall to try and bring on contractions. For some it works, and for others it doesn't. About 2 hours after my doc stripped mine I was REALLY sick to my stomach and had horrible cramping. I walked about 1 mile that day and by that afternoon I was starting to get contractions. Our son was born the next morning.
    Anonymous

• i got mine at 39 wks and i didnt really feel it at all and i had no pain afterwards either but i also didnt go into labor and had to be induced 3 days after my due date
    aidensmama8

Answer by aidensmama8 at 9:30 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I had mine done at 39 wks. It was pretty uncomfortable, I wouldn't say painful. I went into labor 6 hrs later. I had it done at 3:30pm and had my son at 2:43am! So, it worked for me!!
    rlhall1980

Answer by rlhall1980 at 9:50 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• My friend had hers done at 38, 39, 40, and 41 weeks. She didn't go into labor until 41 weeks 5 days pregnant.

They seperate the membranes of the sac from the wall.
    Anonymous

• I had mine stripped at 38 weeks ( dr didn't ask she just did it) I had it done on a tuesday, It was pretty uncomforable and I had pretty bad cramping all night. My water broke 3 am wednesday morning and I had my baby by noon. I was also 3cm dilated and almost 100% effaced so I think it jsut depends on how close your body is to going into labor yourself. GL
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 10:12 PM on Apr. 20, 2010