question for mom's who get food stamps

please answer honestly (anon if you want) or not at all.

how much do you get?

could you find a way to eat without them?

are you embarrassed to admit using them?

what do you buy with them? (general examples meals, snacks, drinks)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Food & Drink

• meanwhile, honest, working people have to eat "great value" crap because we're supporting food-stamp bums! this makes me sick! if you could live without them you have no right to have them! and if you're so poor that you actually need them, you have no business buying "good food" IT'S NOT FREE! my family sacrifices our money so you can eat. we are your meal ticket! stop abusing the system! i dont know why i even opened this question. i hope the whole welfare system collapses and you all starve!

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 9:35 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I get them. Yes I could get food without them but when I got them I could not. I'm not sure the exact amount but over $300. Yes I am embarrassed to even have to have them at all. But they are useful. I buy the food I like to eat. Which isn't cheap!
    Anonymous

• i get $674 per mo for 5 people
    yes i could find a way to eat without them but y would i when i can get free food?
    im not embarist bcuz everyone uses them and its a card so nobody really knows.
    we eat pretty much anything thats easy cuz i hae 3 kids and i work part time and so works full time
    Anonymous

• I get $172 per month for my 2 year old and myself. I'm sure we could be ok without them. Things would be tight (well, tighter!), but we'd make do. I snack on popcorn mostly. I don't buy many snacks or treats. I try to make a pasta and sauce dish every other week, to keep costs down. My daughter likes organic yogurt, which is a bit expensive, but it's worth it. I'm getting to the point where I could ALMOST comfortably live without ANY foodstamps, and I'm so excited!!
    Anonymous

• i get $467 for my husband and 1 yr old and im not embarrassed at all i buy good food for my family instead of great value because it tastes better and its mage w better products. i couldnt afford food without them so i might as well buy good food for free than cheap food with money i dont have
    aidensmama8

Answer by aidensmama8 at 9:28 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• My husband and my son are the only ones who get the stamps because I have SSI and don't qaulify to receive . We live in California and recieve $367.00. I moslty buy ingredients for meals with them and a few cheap snacks. I am not really embarrassed about them , but I don't talk about them on here unless I go anon because I don't like getting bashed. We would have no other way to eat without them.
    Anonymous

• I get 668 a month for myself, df, and my two dds. At the moment no we would have absolutely no way to feed ourselves without it. My df starts his job on the 25th of this month and then we will no longer recieve that much (which I think is way too much anyways). my df has been fighting with unemployment since november and where we live and with the economy jobs are far and few between. I'm not ashamed of needing help and people like 'bestmommyeber' make people that need help not take it. We buy whatever we like with our foodstamps, does that mean snacks and candy (YES!). Anyone that doesnt like it can screw off.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:45 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I get $323 for a family of 4. My husband works but doesn't make enough to make ends meet. If we werenot able to get them we would still buy food, but we would lose our car, or fall further behind on our gas electric water or mortgage payments.
    I use the money to buy items we normally buy when they are on sale, buy one get free, or when I can get a good sale + coupon price. I love knowing I can buy fresh produce each week thanks to the benefits we receive.
    We dont drink soda or buy tons of processed box meals, but I do buy some frozen meals and hamburger helper type kits to keep on hand should we need them. We also use that same money to buy food through angelfood ministries.
    Anonymous

• I think it's about $400? I'm not sure, I don't use the whole amount every month, so there is quite a bit on my card still.

Yes, but Ramen Noodles isn't very nutritious, especially not for a special needs child.

Not really embarrassed, but I'm not proud that we need them either.

I buy family packs of meat (especially when they are about to go out of code and are dirt cheap), potatoes, sweet potatoes, cheaper fruit like bananas and strawberries (a little over a dollar a pound lately!!), wheat breads and pasta, frozen veg and chicken, blocks of cheese for snacks, slicing and shredding... that type of stuff. We buy the big bags of Malt O Meal cereal mostly, but will get other cereals on sale and with coupons. Once in a while I'll buy something special for a birthday or other family event (good grades, ect.)

I am fully aware of the gift we receive and I try not to exploit it.
    Anonymous

• I work in a grocery store and it amazes me how many people pull out their food stamp card and then pay in cash for beer, wine, and cigarettes. They buy lobster and expensive cuts of meat and they treat it exactly like they don't care because it isn't coming out of their pocket. They buy tons of soda and junk food. It drives me nuts.
    We then have people that use coupons, buy everything that is on sale and discounted items and pay with food stamps-those people i like because they are making their dollar stretch(or their food stamp money stretch).
    And then there's the people who are struggling and don't get anything(no food stamps) and have to put things back because they can't afford it.
    I know a lot of people who could use the help either through WIC or foodstamps but can't get help although they can't pay their mortgage or utilities bills.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:18 AM on Apr. 21, 2010