How old were your kids when they stopped talking to you?

You know it starts with the surly attitude, the grumpy mornings then all day long. The kids just completely stop talking to you. I mean unless they need a check or a ride to their friends houses. One day you realize that they just completely stopped talking all together to you. Do you remember this date? Or age? I have actually lived through this age twice, but one last kid who spends drives silent with me. Who would rather be eaten by fire ants than talk to me. She is 16!

mmmegan38

Asked by mmmegan38 at 9:25 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Just for Fun

• It hasn't happened yet for me. My sons are 18, 19, 22 and 23 and they pretty much talk to their dad and I about everything and anything. It's always been that way. My oldest is married but he calls his dad on the weekends & plays online video games with his dad and 1 brother (he lives in another state) and they talk while they play games. He calls me once or twice to talk. My 22yo is not in a position to call much but he writes me 3-4 letters a week (he lives in another state) and I write to him every day. My younger 2 are high school seniors and we talk a lot. Their dad and I go out with each of them one on one once a month each (I go with one, he goes with the other and then 2 weeks later we switch), we eat supper together every single night & we go out as a family 2-3 times a month (we have to work around their work schedule and date nights with their girlfriends). I love my conversations with them. They have a lot to say!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• giving mom giftWe never did that...not my brother not me...that sounds like news to me.We were brought up with high respect for my mom :) and we were also very close to her...did she get on our nerves?? heck ya!!! but never did we actually ignore our mom.But if this helps...my mom brags we were the perfect teenagers.

BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 9:31 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• It sounds like you're pretty upset by your teen's behavior, which is understandable. I went through a period when I didn't talk to my mom for an entire summer. I regret it to this day. I know it really hurt her feelings. Teens can be unintentionally cruel, and they don't always think about how their behavior may affect others.

If I could take it back, I would, but I can't.

What helped me was when my mom would talk to ME, even when I didn't respond. Just keep the lines of communication open.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:38 PM on Apr. 20, 2010