dealing with a difficult decision

My son has really been misbehaving and disrespecting at home and at school. His dad and I are not together, but I am remarried- for 6 years.
I have tried everything from taking things away, restriction, ect-
Nothing at all works! His dad really wants to try to see if he can make any difference with Tyler and have him live with him. . His dad has always been very involved and Tyler acts totally respectful towards him. I'mwondering if anyone has gone through the same situation. I really dont want my son to move, but I want the best for him.
I want to stop this before he gets older and more out of hand.

Thanks!

safun

Asked by safun at 10:07 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Yes my girlfriend when through this too. She was divorced however not remarried. She did end up letting her son go live with his Dad. It was a really difficult decision but some how they lived through it. He graduates soon and will be going off to college a better young man on the right track now. Good luck I hope all works out fine.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 10:14 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• wow. you're very brave to even consider this. i'm so sorry that must be awful for your family! have you asked your son directly what he feels would be best for him? i think the most important thing is that he knows you're not just giving up on him. if you and your ex have a good relationship, you might try a trial period over summer vacation. and the first step i would take is family counselling. you, your husband, your ex, and all of the children, together.good luck. and again, i'm so sorry.

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 10:16 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Sometimes you have to let him go if only to see the grass isn't greener. If your ex is a good person that you can trust, why not try? If you make it clear that you love your son and are hoping living with his dad may help him, then give it a try. Every situation and child is different so it's tough to tell how it'll unfold. Ask yourself, what choice is left? It's okay to get help.
    Anonymous

• This happened to my Mom with I was little. She finally let my brother move all the way to Arizona to live with my Dad. (we are from Missouri). Needless to say, he realized his home with Mom wasn't so bad afterall and was home in less than 2 months.
    mombychoice1982

Answer by mombychoice1982 at 2:18 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• i would let him go you can't hold to your children forever. when i was little about his age i asked my dad to send me to my mom even though i hadn't been talking to her alot but i knew it was time for me to live with a women because my dad couldn't teach me what i needed to know. I'm happy i made that desicion.
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 11:17 AM on Apr. 23, 2010