cord blood banking

im six months pregnant with my third child! im really thinking about storing this cord blood. has anybody done it or used it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• we looked into it but its a little out of our price range it costs a lot and so we just decided to donate ours
    aidensmama8

Answer by aidensmama8 at 10:12 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• We looked into it but when I found out that it wasn't checked to make sure that it was even usable and that you could end up paying thousand for blood that can't even be used we decided against it. I also ready that over 99% of people who bank cord blood never use it even if their child does get sick because often it's not helpful.

I personally would recommend donating to a public bank so that if it is usable it can be used right away. If everyone did this the chances of an ill patient needing cord blood would be quite small.
    Anonymous

• I donated to a cord blood blank. I didn't even know it was an option until I was in the hospital in labor and they asked me if I wanted to. They said it doesn't get used very often and chances are high that if I ever need it it will still be available.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 10:56 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• We researched it and found 2 things helped us make our choice:

1. The baby needs the blood. Infants whose cords remain in tact until they stop pulsing and then the cords are milked can receive up to 20% greater blood volume. These cords then do not have enough blood for banking.

2. There have been many scandals about cord blood banks not actually maintaining the sample. My sister is a stem cell researcher and said the cord banks are bogus.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:54 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I donated ours. It was way out of our price range. The chance that my daughter would need it was slim to non, so I dontated it in hoped that someone could use it.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 7:43 AM on Apr. 21, 2010