Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 12 old son is being threatned anonymously thru the mail being called a future serial killer and sociopath btw he is not we went to police and they can't do anything yet becuz a specific threat wasn't made what do I do now?

I need help with my neighborhood, we have spoken to the neighbors and nobody is saying they wrote it. My son had add and has trouble processing his emotions.BUT he does not hurt animals or bully little kids in our neighborhood. My husband I think we know who it is but he denied it off he is a former cop and lives right next door , he is also the only who has ever said anything about my son


Asked by Anonymous at 10:12 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • I would call the Post Office directly. If anyone except your mailman put something in your mailbox it is a felony. The feds do take threatening through the mail seriously. But it might depend on what was said. But you said your son has ADD. He is protected under the Disability Act. So that actually makes it a more serious problem. I used to work with Special needs children and I am sorry one of your neighbors is not as understanding. People should be alittle more understanding with your son. I was diagnosed with ADD recently as an adult, and there definitely is a stigma. I have only told family members.
    I would def. look into the disability act. It should protect him from being bullied and threatened. It is sad that an adult feels the need to bully and threaten a child. You might have to push it, but that is federal law. Im sorry about this and I wish you and your family the best.

    Answer by Sillybillymel at 10:34 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

  • Call the media. Perhaps then the police will intervene.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

  • well was it posted to you or did they just stick it in your mailbox bc that in itself is illegal if you have to be technical about it to the cops.... but is your mailbox on your house.... by the road... or do you have a community mail box? bc i would suggest setting up a camera to monitor the mailbox but that would only really work if the mailbox was on your house or by the road. also if you really wanted you could hire a private detective to find out but that would probably cost alot of money. i'm sorry that somebody is doing this to your family and i hope they stop or you find out who it is

    Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:21 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

  • Call the post office they will investigate it. Threatening through the mail is a federal offense.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

  • even if there is no actual threat, it is harassment, and it's a threat to your son's emotional well being. set up a camera like the pp said. if the letters are coming through the mail, contact the post office like the other pp said. as soon as you find the culprit, call the police again. if they don't solve the problem, go to the media and publicly humiliate this S.O.B. (if it's an adult) if it's a child, take the evidence to their parents and let them handle it.


    Answer by bestmommyeber at 10:36 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

  • I'd be very careful if you think the guy is the cop. You mention he's had trouble processing emotions. What exactly do you mean? I feel like you're leaving out a big piece of the puzzle. Still, your son should be protected and perhaps get a therapist?

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

  • Definately agree about calling the post office because it's through the mail.

    Answer by lifetimelove at 11:03 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

  • This is coming from somone who grew up with a cop as an immediate member of the family. He may be a FORMER cop, but I can gaurantee you, if he is living in the same community he once worked for, those cops are still going to look out for him over you and your family. Instead of going to the local police, try going to the sherriff's department. Also, consult an attorney ( I understand money may be an issue, but many attorneys will give a free consultation), tell them the situation and ask what steps you can take to have the authorities look into this. Good luck.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 PM on Apr. 20, 2010