I am 38 weeks and 2 days pregnant and I went for my check up today and I am 2 1/2 centimeters dialated and 75 percent thinned out and my doctor stripped my membranes...can someone tell me if this will really help me cause everyone I ask tells me that it does not wor?????

Sarah1985503

Asked by Sarah1985503 at 10:35 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• What my dr told me is that when the membranes are stripped after 38 weeks, it just brings the due date a little earlier by a couple of days. That's exactly what happened to me. I had it done at 38 and 39 weeks, and I went into labor three days before my due date. A friend of mine had hers done at 38 weeks and had her son the next day. I just depends on your body. I did loose my plug though, so beware of that. lol
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 10:47 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• It works for some and for some it doesn't.

Some go into labor that day, some don't go into labor for weeks and some have it done 3, 4 or 5 times and still end up with an induction.
    Anonymous

• It really doesn't do anything. Due dates aren't exact, so if you go into labor before your due date, it's just because your body is ready and not because you had your membranes stripped.
    Anonymous

• It didn't work for me, I had to be induced. I was only 36 weeks, so that could be why. I was induced for medical reasons.
    Anonymous

• I had my membranes stripped at 40 wks 2 days and our son was born the very next morning...within about 18 hours. Within 6 hours of having my membranes stripped I was having contractions. For some it works and others it doesn't.
    Anonymous

• Why would you allow that so early?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Apr. 21, 2010