Does Anyone Have a Clue About Etiquette Anymore???

I sent out invites to my daughter's wedding addressed specifically to those who are invited. I had someone ask me if their four kids can each bring their boyfriends/girlfriends, and a husband & wife were invited, so on the space where they are to write the number attending, they have "3" written in!!! Now I have to call & inform her that I only have 2 places reserved for her & her husband only. I hate being in this position... I hate confrontations!

Do people really not know that you don't ask to bring a guest to a wedding??? Or just take it upon yourself to bring your kids when they weren't invited??? Or am I expecting too much out of people??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Entertainment

• Um, I think you are expecting too much out of people. Regardless of what you do, people read what they want to out of it.
    Anonymous

• Well, I wouldn't come to a wedding by myself so if I was invited I would expect to bring my husband. I wouldn't bring any "outsiders" or kids if they weren't invited though. I don't think it's verynice to ask to bring someone else, when weddings are usually paid for by number of attendees.
    Anonymous

• I think etiquette is gone, along with common sense, truth and trust. Good luck
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 11:37 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• it sounds to me like they're a bit thick so gl explaining it to them
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:37 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• depends what kinda wedding you are having.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 11:38 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• well if my kid wasnt invited to a wedding I was invited to, i would probbly trash the onvitation and forget about attending the weddig, as for all the kids bringing their partner that is tacky, as well as bringing a person that wasnt invited Isnt that te point of invitations?
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 11:38 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• OP here~ We're having a large formal wedding with a cocktail hour, dinner reception, and everything that goes with it, minus the drinking... much too expensive to pay for a bunch of kids, not to mention we don't want a bunch of kids running around disrupting things. If it were an informal outdoor bar-B-Q, children would be welcome.
    Anonymous

• sticking out tonguethen yes its tacky... i dont expect my baby to be invited i dont force my whole family on people

BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 11:53 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• People are effing clueless these days.
    I read 3 books on this sort of stuff when I got married...and I hadn't learned most of it before!
    We don't value these traditions in middle society. YOU are right...and THEY are ignorant unfortunately.

Just be tactful and diplomatic about it.
    I imagine all the care that went into the invitation should have tipped them off...but people are self involved at times :(
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 1:15 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I am horrified

Answer by rkoloms at 6:28 AM on Apr. 21, 2010