what do you keep your thermastat set on?

we live in md and i keep it on 75 in the summer and 68 in the winter. just wondering if i'm normal or what lol. alot of my neighbors complain that their bills are like $800+ for gas/electric and i think the most ours has been is $400. i mean we all have the same size house, built at the same time (i live in a development). i also use ceiling fans in the summer.... maybe that's the difference idk lol

princessbeth79

Asked by princessbeth79 at 11:47 PM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Home & Garden

• during the summer i dont have to really do anything..my house is pretty much 75 during the summer by itself (trees all round) the winter 78 or my hubby will say we are baking ourselves.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 11:51 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• SORRY DONT HAVE ONE ! !
    Anonymous

• 70. We don't have AC but if the thermostat drops below 70 the heat kicks on. We don't like to be cold and in So Cal houses aren't built with much insulation.
    Anonymous

• never above 68 in the winter (i can't take being hot!) and i only use my central air on the days when i wouldn't survive without it lol usually a total of 2 weeks out of the summer.
    Anonymous

• Between 70-72 in the winter, 74-78 in the summer. I keep a ceiling fan on during the summer to cut costs. My bills are nowhere NEAR what you're describing. I live in central California.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:58 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• OP here- i wish i could go without the ac in the summer but i am a very sweaty person and i live in a new development and the trees are really small still, so i get no shade from them. the back of the house faces the south and that's where the rooms are that we spend the most time in lol. good in the winter but not so much in the summer! i got some solar shades for the morning room and they help alot!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:58 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• OP again Ginger..... our gas bill and electric bill are together so that is one reason why they are a little high. and our houses are kinda big, like 6000 square feet so that might make it a little higher too. but i still don't see why their bills are double ours (unless they have it a tropical paradise in the winter or something lol)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 12:00 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• We don't have air conditioning. We keep our thermostat at 62 during the day and 55 at night.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:25 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• We're in Pennsylvania. We don't have A/C. In the winter, the upstairs thermostat is kept at 62 and the downstairs thermostat is kept at 68. As soon as we start having regular nighttime temps of 55 or above, the boiler is shut off for the season.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I'm in NY, in the winter it's on 68-70 during the summer the thermostat and furnace are off.....lol if we had central air it too would be set to about 65-70, 75 would be way too warm for me....but we keep blinds down in the summer so it doesn't get too hot in here.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:30 AM on Apr. 21, 2010