Quick Breastmilk question

if I warm up a bottle of breastmilk in warm water and baby doesn't use it can I keep it out and re warm it in 3 hours for him or do I have to dump it?? Also if he doesn't drink from it at all can I put it back in fridge after being warmed up?

staciaw

Asked by staciaw at 12:42 AM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I did. I never followed all the stupid rules...my kids are FINE>
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I can't even remember all the rules exactly. I think it was refridgerate and use within 24 hours? Like the PP, I didn't always follow those rules to a tee. I didn't totally ignore them either. You have to find a healthy balance.
    brookebella

Answer by brookebella at 12:49 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I say yes. Just don't let it sit "out" too long...and you don't want to heat/cool more than twice.
    I remember that you can leave Breast milk out for up to 4 hours or more without refridge...so i imagine it should be okay in your case too.
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 12:50 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Hrm... breastmilk has anti-bacterial properties, but, 3 hours is a while... and.. bacteria LOVE luke warm environments.

I always threw mine out if my son didn't eat it because it would start to smell off.

Smell it?

I'm curious why baby did not use the bottle... are you breastfeeding and then offering bottles of breastmilk? Why?

Or are you EP'ing and did your baby not wake up at a "normal" time to wake?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• OP HERE, thanks for all your answers, I am pumping and bottle feedind due to healt issues with DS. He is on thickened breastmilk and is having surgery monday so hopefully I can start jsut bf-ing again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Use within the hour or toss.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:37 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I say yes. But only re-heat once. And as a pp said, smell it!

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/reusing-expressedmilk.html

http://www.workandpump.com/reheat.htm

I have to feed my son at least half of his feeds via bottle due to his extreme prematurity requiring that human milk fortifier be added to his milk. Going on 18 weeks of (almost) exclusive pumping. Kudos to you!
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 3:27 AM on Apr. 21, 2010