How do I get rid of her rash?

I have a 1 year old who has a rash that wont get better. It just continues to get worse. She now has open sores all over her vaginal area as well as her butt.
It is continuing to spread to her legs and tummy.
I have tried rash ointment, A&D, and baby powder. Its still getting worse.
I have only prolonged taking her to the doctor because I thought I could take care of it myself, I have never had just an issue with this before.
I am taking her in on thursday. Any suggestions until then?

BayB

Asked by BayB at 1:06 AM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It might be a yeast infection. My son gets them all the time. Give her some realy yogurt, like yoplay not the baby stuff. And deffinatly taker her to the doctor to get checked out. And try boudrouxs, that stuff works wonders. Let her run around without a diaper for a while to let it air out. GL
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 1:11 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• There is a type of herpes that can cause that. Get her to the doctor. That has to be painful and she needs meds for it. I would see if I could get her in sooner than thur

Answer by admckenzie at 1:12 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I just read a post about pampers that is giving children the exact same thing my daughter has. I have been using the diapers I have since she was born and its not pampers.
    BayB

Answer by BayB at 1:14 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Air is the most healing. If you absolutely have to put a diaper on her, make sure her skin is completely dry before putting the cream and diaper on. You can even use a hair dryer, (on the cool setting!!!) if it doesn't freak her out, to speed up the drying process.
    I'm a fan of plain old petroleum jelly to protect from the moisture. My 2nd favorite is the Boudreaux's Butt Paste. Hate desitin. Definitely take her to the doc! It could be a yeast infection! GL! :)
    brookebella

Answer by brookebella at 1:22 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Oh, and change her often! If my son sits in poop for 5 mins, he starts getting red! He's got my sensitive skin. :)
    brookebella

Answer by brookebella at 1:23 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Sounds like my daughter. Is there any redness around the vaginal opening? DD gets those bumps that open up regularly and they're from yeast. Most recently, she had a more internal looking redness so I took her in and they thought she either had a bacterial or yeast infection. OTC stuff won't help. I even have a special NICU cream that doesn't help, but can at least alleviate the bumps a little. Its desitin mixed with a little Mylanta (plain!) and then add enough talc free baby powder or cornstarch to get it back to a paste consistancy. I'd say 2 parts desitin to 1 part mylanta. Anyway, even the medical cream only helped the internal issue. The real cure came with potty training. DD is just too fair for diapers. even a light pee tears her up but now she's clear a week into underwear!
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 9:28 AM on Apr. 21, 2010