Puppy Crate

We have just got a poodle Pup - she is 7 wks old, Momma was turning on her :-(
I have just seen someone say ( in another question) a crate should only be big enough for the dog to stand up turn and sit down - why so small? We have a crate which is larger than that - room for bed, a couple of toys and a water dish. What is the theory behind a small crate? I was thinking it should be more like her private space -her bedroom, and if it is tiny won't that make her hate it in there? Do you crate your Pups and how do you do it? Did you get a new crate when the Puppy was fully grown? New to Pup-mommying and happy to listen to all ideas, thanks

myheartx4

Asked by myheartx4 at 2:18 AM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Pets

• The theory behind a crate is you want a crate big enough for the dog to move in but not big enough that the dog can poop or pee in at one end and live in the other end. The crate is a big tool in house training a dog. The dog learns that the crate is his/her den, dogs by instinct won't go in their den, they will go outside the den. The crate is also supposed to be the dog's safe spot. With all that being said, I haven never crate trained my two dogs. The first one we got as a puppy and when we tried putting him in a crate, he would fuss like some one was killing him. He eventually learned to use our room as his den. We didn't bother with the second dog. She used our room as her den as well. Hope this helps a little?
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 8:38 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• If the crate is to big then they will have a space to go to the bathroom and sleep. You don't want them going to the bathroom in the crated. Some crates come with dividers so that you can make the crate bigger as they grow. I personally, will just buy the next size if I need to.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:48 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• If the crate is too large then the dog will have room to pee in it. The theory behind crate training is that you don't want the dog to use the bathroom in his home (which includes your living space). Dogs will not soil their sleeping area (unless its too large).
    A crate that is big enough to stand up, turn around and sit down is not a small space by any means. I imagine you don't do a lot of moving around in your livingroom which is also big enough for you to stand up, turn around and sit down in...it doesn't bother you.

Acid

Answer by Acid at 9:55 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Look for a crate wlith dividers, for our new puppy we are using a travel type of crate (it was hard to findone small enough for her) as they get older and are potty trained mine have a wire crate that does fit their bed and a toy or toy, but not much larger. The crate is use for when we are not home or during meal times here.
    mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 10:22 AM on Apr. 21, 2010