perineal massage..

i plan to have a natural birth, im 33 weeks, and do not want to be cut but would like to try anything to help stretch down there for less chance of tearing. i want to try perineal massage but id have to do it myself, bf works alot and lives pretty far from where i am currently. any other ideas? anyone do the massage themself and if so tips please and thank you.

jayde08

Asked by jayde08 at 3:06 AM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Sit or lean back in a comfortable position. Put a lubricant such as KY jelly on your thumbs and around the perineum.

Place your thumbs about 1 to 11/2 inches inside your vagina. Press downward and to the sides at the same time. Gently and firmly keep stretching until you feel a slight burning, tingling or stinging sensation. With your thumbs, hold the pressure steady for about two minutes or until the area becomes a little numb and you don't feel the tingling as much.

As you keep pressing with your thumbs, slowly and gently massage back and forth over the lower half of your vagina, working the lubricant into the tissues. Keep this up for three to four minutes. Remember to avoid the urinary opening.

As you massage, pull gently outward (and forward) on the lower part of the vagina with your thumbs hooked inside. This helps stretch the skin much in the same way that the baby's head will stretch it during birth.

Malibustacy

Answer by Malibustacy at 3:59 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Do this massage once or twice per day, starting around the 34th week of pregnancy. After about a week, you should notice an increase in flexibility and stretchiness.

Malibustacy

• I did it for my 1st, lying back in the bathtub each night.

Answer by missanc at 8:38 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• i never did this, i never tore. i would suggest using something natural when you do the massage, like olive oil.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:57 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• At the hospital I had my son at the nurses will do it while your in labor for you!!! Crazy, but it works for some :o) I on the other hand had the doc do it and still tore... good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Apr. 21, 2010