Bonfire Birthday Ideas?

My husband's birthday is this weekend and he wants to have a bonfire in our yard. It can be muddy (it's been raining all night. It COULD dry out by then!...

Anyway, what foods and drinks should I serve? Other than marshmellows of course. What healthy dessert can I make instead of a fattening cake?

TXdanielly

Asked by TXdanielly at 7:02 AM on Jun. 27, 2008 in Food & Drink

• Go with your all american BBQ!! Hot dogs, hamburgers, and BBQ chicken (maybe even chicken kabobs)! For a healthy dessert: Fruit salad with cool whip (make it into a pretty display), strawberry short cake-Have Fun!!
    remainpositive

Answer by remainpositive at 1:33 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• I would put up a tent..just in case!! LOL Hot dogs for cooking on the fire are a must! You could do a whole table of hot dog fixings with the checkered table cloth and "serve" them like a street vender. Chili sauce, relish all of the goodies. A pig roast is also a great outdoor food and interesting to watch carving and cooking. Of course we need smores...don't forget the smores!! LOL.
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 11:25 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Before this closes, I wanted to add that our bonfire rained out, so we took it inside. I prepared bbq sausage sandwiches, we had potato salad, beans, chips, peanutbutter cookies with reeces inside, a birthday jello cake, and bottled water. Our family brought different drinks, and some other goodies.

Simple but fun.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 3:13 PM on Jul. 3, 2008