7 mo old baby girl dies. Parents to blame?

http://forums.contracostatimes.com/topic/antioch-7-month-old-dies-after-being-left-in-car?source=article

Sooo sad.
If you read the comments at the end people are arguing over if the parents are to blame. I wanted to hear from some MOMS out there. Parent "forgets" their 7 mo in the car for TWELVE hours and it's an "accident" and we should feel sorry for them?? I dunno about that one... How did they wake up at noon and not think- Hey.. we haven't heard from our 7 month old in 12 hours.. maybe we should check on her!! Sounds like foul play to me... Opinions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:26 AM on Apr. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• Of course the parents are to blame. I still feel sorry for all involved. :( Instead of anger, and there still will be plenty of that...lets try not to forget about the loss here.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 3:27 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I think it's a terrible loss for the family (Grandparents, sibling, aunts and uncles etc.) It's always horrible when a baby dies. BUT I think the parents should be punished for neglect. I don't care how tired they were from working 2 jobs (And they were up til 3 AM at home..?) If they woke up the next morning at noon and didn't think it was strange to not hear from a 7 month old... that says something right there. Not to mention the dad got in his car and didn't see the baby in her carseat? He didn't look over his shoulder or in his rearview while driving? That seems strange to me. I hope there's a LOT of investigating in this case especially for their other childs sake.
    Malibustacy

Answer by Malibustacy at 3:41 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I went to the link hoping to read teh actual article. So I cant make my decision, although it does sound like neglect.
    lovemylittle1

Answer by lovemylittle1 at 4:19 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• If it was a daycare worker who left a child in the car they would go to jail, so why not the parents. Yes it is neglect!
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 7:13 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• How in the world do you forget your child in the car for 12 hours? Yes absolutely they are to blame!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 7:30 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• 12 hours?! Oh yes... parents are to blame!! If it had been 10 minutes, maybe not, but 12 hours?!

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 7:33 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• How can anyone forget your child is in the car, especially a parent, this is truly sad and could have been prevented and YES the parents are to blame. People like that don't deserve to have children imo.
    Sweet_Faith

Answer by Sweet_Faith at 7:40 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Sheesh.. of course the parents are to blame! My kiddos never left my side for hardly a second when they were babies! even if the other parent was supposed to be watching or at a sitters, I would check up on my kiddo!
    Leeshamak

Answer by Leeshamak at 8:11 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• This is so upsetting - that poor baby must have been crying and screaming all night until exhaustion.

How could you not notice a baby in the back of your car.

This is horrible and the parents are horrible and I don't care if it was a "mistake" because I can't believe you can't notice a baby sitting in the back of your car and I DON'T believe you can just forget about a baby for that long especially as a mother.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 8:13 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-news/ci_14914217?source=rss&nclick_check=1

Not the op here, but here is an article. This could have been prevented. They both assumed the other had the child but what I don't understand is, don't you check your child before you go to sleep or as soon as you wake up? I do. I put the kids to bed, even if I go to bed just 10 minutes later I check on everyone and then as soon as I wake up I peek in at them to see if anyone is stirring yet. This may have been a horrible accident, but it did not have to happen. I would consider it neglect.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:16 AM on Apr. 21, 2010