Public Library

3 years ago we had to move to another state and it was a hectic event, wasnt planned, and we basically left in the middle of the night.

I had 3 library books checked out. No idea where they are now.

We have recently moved back to the same town and with summer time coming up I really want my daughter to be able to check books out.

My question is, do they stop incurring fees after a while? Like could I just pay for the cost of the books or what?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:43 AM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Fees do not keep incurring. Once items are declared lost, the patron is simply charged a replacement fee for each item. So, all you need to do is pay for the lost books. When you go to the Library, bring a photo ID with your current address in order to update your library card. Then you can get your daughter a library card of her own.
    Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 6:25 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• LOL this is kinda funny. Not in a rude way. I have no idea though. I would have your child check the books out in their name or your husbands and not use yours. Then when you rent some out ask about the policy for just in case your daughter lost it. Just a thought.
    StevensWife

Answer by StevensWife at 5:45 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I would have your child check the books out in their name or your husbands and not use yours.

No husband and she's only 5, so there has to be a parent's card on file too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:51 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I believe the fees keep incurring. If you had a reason for moving that's very compelling, say your life was being threatened or something that you have proof of, you may be able to talk them out of some of them. I would just go in, be honest, and find out how much the fees are. You may be able to convince them to let you pay for the books instead of the fees. Also, if you remember exactly what the books were, you could try buying new copies and taking them with you when you go in, offering to give them to them. Might make them more receptive.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:13 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Call the library and ask their policy; chances are, you will be required to pay up to the cost of the books.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:15 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I would talk to the library and explain just how you posted it - you had to move suddenly for personal reasons, and in the process, you lost 3 books. You're now able to return to ___ (town where you are), and would like to settle your account with them, and can you please pay for the lost books?

The shouldn't charge more than the cost of the books, but there's a chance that they might try to. If they do try to charge you 3 yrs worth of fines, ask to speak to the supervisor, head librarian, or to someone on the library board about it.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:53 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I suppose all libraries could be different. I worked at out public library before my kids were born. I think normally fees stop either at a set price, or once you've reached the cost of the book. There are also days every once in a while when books can be returned and your fines are erased, I can't remember what the day is called or how often it is though. I kind of thought it was a national thing, but maybe not. Most librarians just want their books back, not ridiculous amounts of money from people who lose books or forget to return them.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 7:57 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Call the library and ask. Here they have a maximum fee of $10, no matter how long the books have been out. That's $10 total, not 10 for each book.

Answer by missanc at 8:10 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• At least the libraries here, they stop incurring fees after about 6 months and just want you to pay for the books.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 8:11 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Call the library and ask them what your options are.
    momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 9:12 AM on Apr. 21, 2010