My 3yr old won't get out of his bed in the morning without us going in to his room. Help!He gets very upset if I don't go in when he calls.

He sleeps fairly well and mostly through out the night. I guess we have the opposite of the roaming toddler,

jams63

Asked by jams63 at 7:33 AM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• lol be thankful, our 4 yo likes to wake up in the middle of the night and take food out of the frig.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 7:36 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• our 4 yo likes to wake up in the middle of the night and take food out of the frig.

OMG!! LOL!! Mine does that too!! But usually its junk food and I find the wrappers under his bed the next day!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:03 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I know the day will come when I wish he doesn't get out of his bed and roam....and take food out of the frig:)
    jams63

Answer by jams63 at 8:21 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I would just let him stay in there if he gets upset enough eventually he will learn to get out by himself. 2. you should be extrememly grateful. My 3 1/2 year old gets snacks in the middle of the night and sometimes runs around the house for hours in the middle of the night.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• He wants that security of you coming to get him and start his day off right. Please appreciate these days bc one day he'll be a teen and not want anything to do with you! This won't last forever. It just takes a minute of your day to go to his room and tell him Good Morning and show him that you are there. Children have fears that parents are going to be gone. Show him you are alive and well.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:16 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I don't see what the problem is. My DD acted like her toddler bed was a crib for a whole year, meaning we had to put her in at night and take her out in the morning. It wasn't a problem. We kept a monitor in her room and when she woke up, one of us got her. Your child is only 3, it's not like you want him up and about all alone any way. Just get him when he wakes.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:19 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• My oldest did this too. He would stay in his bed until we went in to get him in the morning, but he didn't get really upset if we didn't go in when he called - he would just stay there. It was kinda nice because I never had to worry about him getting into something if he got up before me. Eventually he got to where he would get out of bed by himself. It will happen, just be patient.

Answer by missanc at 10:14 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• My 2.5 yo does the same thing! She sits in there and yells "mommy! Can you hear me?" when she wakes up... I'll tell her to come here and she opens her door, gives me a huge hug and says "good morning mother, I missed you!". While I wish she would come get me when she wakes up, I sure do love those hugs!!!! I guess one day they won't be there like they are now but I still would
    like to wake up when she does... Sometimes it's 5am but she's so much fun!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 10:42 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Might help to understand what your concern is. Why is it important for him to get up by himself? My son is 3 and I go in to get him every morning. We play, chat, etc as we get our day started. I prefer it this way since I dno't have to worry about him wandering the house if he wakes up at night (which he typically doesn't do).
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 4:12 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I guess I just needed reassurance that it is normal. He was never one to try and climb out of his crib so I shouldn't have expected him to jump out of his big boy bed. He is such an independent little guy that I just found it a bit strange that this is the one thing he doesn't do that I thought he would. I suppose he does like the comfort of his bed-which is fine. I don't mind at all going in and having that special morning time together. I know those days will be missed when we dont' have them. Thanks everyone!
    jams63

Answer by jams63 at 8:18 AM on Apr. 22, 2010