food pantry?

tell me what you think of people you see coming out of a food pantry?
I was wondering I went to one on Monday to see what it was like ((went with MIL, first time for both!). Lets just say I decided it is not for me or her., the people there were,...well lets be nice not so clean and not all there.
We went cause I work for the elderly and one person was bragging about it!.
We are in guidelines for it, but I don't know how seeing my hubby makes good money.
I decided NO THANK YOU, but seeing it made me sad so next week I am going to go down and ask about voluatering.<

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:34 AM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I am the Assistant Director for our Local Food Bank. We help LOTS of people. It has also helped our church tremendously! We are able to be a witness to the people when they're "down on their luck", and some have been spiritually helped for eternity! I enjoy working it. There are alot of people in our church who also benefit from it. There are two or three families that are kept off of assistance because they are able to do the food bank. They also come and work it! We have all kinds.....the ones who are just there for another hand-out, the ones whose hubby's have lost their job or have been hurt and can't work, and the ones who complain about what they're given!!! It's always an interesting day, huh, Jen?
    TimandMely4ever

Answer by TimandMely4ever at 8:27 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• "so next week I am going to go down and ask about voluatering"

that is a wonderful idea!!
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 7:38 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• sorry about the spelling :(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:42 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I was in a situation some years ago that the only food I was getting was from a local food pantry where I lived. The only reason I wasn't homeless was I had some friends that were letting me sleep on their couch, it was a very low point in my life.

I would suggest that if you can't get past your feeling of people being "not so clean and not all there" you probably shouldn't try volunteering. People can sense feelings like that despite them trying to be kept covered up.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 7:44 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• i wish that we had one were we live. there are so many people here how need it. maybe we can start one ourselves...thanks for the wonderful idea!
    eva123

Answer by eva123 at 7:55 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I don't think anything about it one way or another. Because honestly, I've been to many food banks, and have been seen leaving them many times. Not once have I been there GETTING food - I've been there GIVING food, volunteering, etc. Besides which, honestly, but by the grace of God, it could be any one of us that need help, and need to get food, and since I don't know what their life circumstances are, who am I to think anything bad about them? kwim? (I'm NOT saying that you were thinking bad about them or anything.)

Basically, I guess I just don't really think about it one way or another when I see them, any more than I think anything about someone coming out of a grocery store or something.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:06 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I think that they probably need a little extra help and the food pantry is a great place to get it. I've never been to one or seen one (I've always given to other organizations, schools, etc that were donating to the NC Food Pantry), but I wouldn't think anything of it.

Answer by missanc at 8:33 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• There is a food pantry in my city. I have never been there but If I saw someone coming out of the food pantry I would think they are people who are in need, doing what they have to do to feed their family. I know during my childhood when my dad's company went on strike there were times when the kitchen was empty and if it was not for the local food pantry and church with their charity food we would have went hungry. I hate the thought of kids going hungry- so I do donate to our local food pantry to help those who are in need.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:39 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• If you need it you need it---my ex and his friends go and don't use it and let it go to waste and I think that is shameful-- but when I used to go we used it up right away-- I have lots of food stored up now so I don't go but we used to and I was not ashamed because I have LO and get no child support and got laid off. The only people I didn't want to know were my kids so I always left them with my neighbor when I went to get the food boxes.
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 9:17 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Have you tried Angel food from your or any church? Inexpensive, you order foods from a list. We did it when we had children at home. Be prepared for generics.
    Anonymous