Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone know anything about Grandparent Rights?

Me and my husband dont want his mom and his two sisters around our three daughters.Ever sent we got together about 15 years ago there has always been fighting and arguing between them and us.I have tryed and tryed with them and let thing go that they did to me and my family.But things will only be okay for about 2-3 months and then the fighting starts again.They will start arguing in front of the kids and yell and swear they even asulted me infront of the kids once too when I was 6 1/2 months pregnant.Now that we haven't talk to them in 2 months they are coming around and calling saying nasty things and there always driving by my house causing problems.They are doing all these things in front of my kids and I think it's wrong and I want to keep the kids away from them.There is so many reason why I want to keep my kids away from them one main one is that they also do smoke in there house and do drugs.I live in MA. Thanks


Asked by Mamato2angels at 8:24 AM on Apr. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 7 (169 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • In most states there aren't grand parent rights. Parents are the ones with rights. Your siblings, parents, and in-laws only get to visit your kids when and if you say so. I don't know the laws in your particular state though. Even if your state observes grand parent rights, they will be limited.

    Answer by ThrivingMom at 8:39 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

  • i know here in GA, they have absolutely no rights at all. They can try & try & try, but unless at least one parent is around, the grandparents are good for nothing when it comes to rights here in GA. BUT, i believe other states are different. So, you may want to do a little online search about those kinds of rules in MA.

    Answer by samurai_chica at 8:33 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

  • According to FEDERAL LAW, grandparents have no rights. The Supreme Court ruled so in 2000 I believe. So no state can override it. The ONLY way grandparents can petition for rights is if the parents are deemed irresponsible by the state.

    Answer by purpleducky at 9:24 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

  • I agree with all the other posters. There is no such thing as grandparents rights in many states, and that states that DO have them, are usually only present in divorce, or death of a parent, situations, and even then there are many things the grandparent has to prove before they are given any "rights" at all. If you and your husband don't want them seeing your child, there is nothing anyone can do about that. That is your RIGHT and no court is going to tell you that the grandparents get to see your children. As far as the harassment goes, get yourself a restraining order.

    Answer by Ash9724 at 9:50 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

  • I agree with Ash9724 - she beat me to to saying get a restraining order.

    Answer by PrttyMstng at 12:20 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

  • Grandparents' rights are made up. They're not real. Some lawyer probably made it up.

    Answer by Pnukey at 2:56 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

  • Grandparents rights are real - for example. If the parents died and there were no will or court orders as to what would happen to the children - then the grandparents could step in and exercise grandparents rights. Another example would be if the parents were drug addicts or in prison.

    Answer by PrttyMstng at 6:43 PM on Apr. 21, 2010