I know I have posted a similar question before but...

I am still looking for an answer. I have a 3/12 year old. I also watch a 15 month old. By a year my daughter was eating basically whatever we had for dinner. Well this little girl I watch eats real food fine whenever I give her some. But her mom always sends ONLY STAGE ONE baby food. She doesn't feed herself yet and I don't see how she will ever learn how to eat "normally" I've mentioned to her mom before that I think it would be worth a try to get her to get something older and she brought her mac n cheese but still vegggies and fruit baby food. Then the very next week she brough all baby food again. I thought maybe she was trying to use it up. But she brought me up food the other day and said I just went to the grocorey (sp) store and this is new stuff.
Ladies what do you think I should do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• go get the baby some stuff yourself and ask the mother if she minds if you feed it to the baby.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:07 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• thats really weird. I think if that were me, I'd tell her that her baby has been trying to eat regular food and while they should be able to do that developmentally at this age, since she's only bringing you baby food, is there a reason you have her eating infant stuff or is it ok to feed her normal food? You could maybe have a few print outs about when to switch to table or at least more advanced foods as well. I'd like to think she just doesn't know better because that's really holding your kid back! Maybe there's a medical reason? though as her caretaker, you should have been made aware of that...
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 9:24 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• You have already given your oppinion to the mom, and (unless you notice health issues) if she keeps feeding her babyfood, you'll have to let her - it's her child!

I understand your point, and it sounds like the girl is probably ready for an upgrade, but at the end of it, it is the parents call.

Let it go for a while, and then suggest it again in a couple of months.
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 9:41 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• she may be buying it because its cheaper, maybe she cant afford the more expensive stuff.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:44 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• At 15 months both of my girls were eating some table food. Ask her if she would be willing to try the stage 2 food the next time she went shopping. But other then that she will have to make the choice. The baby might not give her a choice and demand real food. I know my oldest did at 9 months.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 1:36 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• shes kind of does that already tries to turn away and spits out the baby food and when I tell her that she did this. She tells me she ate it for me. and Im not trying to bash her parenting. BUT I have her 14 hours a day for 5 days a week so really when did she eat it for her.?
    Anonymous

• Is this the ONLY FOOD this baby gets?? I mean is she on follow-on formula or breastmilk as well?

If she's NOT on follow-on formula or BM with the food and it's just whole milk.. I would be REALLY concerned this baby may get malnutrition / anemia or something. I mean she's not eating anything of substance. Stage 1 food is mostly water. That is a BAD situation.

I think you need to print out information and show this mom she needs to be feeding her baby meat / beans / soy / eggs or something as well or she's going to get malnutrition.

A baby at this age should be eating a variety of tablefood. My 13 month old nurses all day, but he also eats 5 small meals of TABLE food and has always self-fed. He even uses a spoon rather well. This lady is doing her baby girl a disservice to her development, IMO, and it COULD be hurting her if her diet isn't balanced.

Are you friends with any nurses/doctors that could talk to her?
    Anonymous

• If the baby IS on follow-on formula or BM, the baby is unlike to get malnutrition til she is 2 or so and still eating like this.. but.. if she's interested in table food I would really think letting her try to feed herself would be best.
    Anonymous

• If worst came to worst I would stage it so the mom would come in and see her "stealing" table food from you and eating it .. then she could SEE she was ready to eat the table food.
    Anonymous

• She drinks whole milk but only one bottle of it a day I can't get her to drinl anymore
    Anonymous