Dramamine or Zofran?

We are going on a 16 hour car trip. My DD gets carsick, and we usually use Dramamine. She recently had the stomach flu and was prescribed Zofran. My question- Will that work just as well, or better, to keep her from throwing up in the car? Can I alternate the two?

mama_moonsong

Asked by mama_moonsong at 9:18 AM on Apr. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• Zofran was first used to help the nausea from treatments during cancer. My son was given this after surgery once. Dramamine is used especially for "movement" nausea. If I was you I would google them both. I suspect dramamine is more for stopping the feeling of nausea from occurring and the zofran is more for alleviating it once it's there. You could call and ask your pharmacist also.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:29 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I agree w/ the PP. Dramamine is the way to go for motion sickness.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 10:17 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I would call the pharmacist. My kids have been prescribed zofran, and it didn't work for my oldest at all. But the pharmacist could give you the best information about how to alternate, or which to use.

Answer by missanc at 10:35 AM on Apr. 21, 2010