how can i tell my friend i don't want to do this with out her being mad at me?

i've known her since we were 9 years old. we used to be really close, but over the last few years, we haven't seen each more than 3 or 4 times,we really don't talk at all,maybe occasionally on facebook. anyway, she texted me to ask if i would do a favor for her. she is going to texas for the summer to see her dad, and she wants me to keep her cats while she is gone for 3 months. sorry if it makes me a bad friend, but i really don't want to do it. my husband and i don't have any pets, and we're not ready for any, my daughter isnt used to being around animals, and i'm not sure how she would feel with two cats running around here. i don't want my furniture scratched up or my house to smell like cat litter or cat poop.i feel like she asked me cause we've know each other so long, and she trusts me.but i feel like she should have asked someone who she is closer to,maybe a friend who already has pets,i know she has friends with cats.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Relationships

• If she is a friend, she will understand. Tell her no.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:56 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• i agree with jademom07. just tell her. if she doesn't understand then you need to let that friendship go.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• That might be the case where a little white lie could come into play. Tell her your dh is extremely allergic and that's why you don't have pets of your own... or your child is. GL
    paralegalmommy

Answer by paralegalmommy at 9:58 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I'd just tell her the truth. I'd say I would not feel comfortable taking on that type of responsibility for so long. She probably just ask you first bc you are so close but she probably has other friends who would love to take the cats. I watched my mother's dog and she ran away or got stolen and mom never forgave me for that. It's a lot of responsibility.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:58 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I would just tell her that you have no pets, don't want any and don't think your child would do well with her cats. I love cats and have one but I have no interest in keeping other people's cats. I also think that three months is a little extreme to be taking care of her animals. People have to go away sometimes but this is too much.
    Anonymous

• I would just txt her back and tell her that you have too much on your plate to commit to that. That is way tooo long to keep cats for someone..no way would i do that!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:59 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• i say let your husband take the fall for it. Tell her you told him you were going to and he was a real asshole about it and said no way! Haha....i do that all the time, its an easy way out.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:09 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I would hate to be friends with some of you. You think lying is ok! do you teach your children to do this too? I hope that you don't get mad at your child for eventually lying to you since you so easily lie to a friend.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• thats why i choose not to have any friends...people are to effing needy.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:14 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• she asked a favor... when you ask a favor there's a 50-50 chance the answer is no. just say no. if she gets mad, she's not your friend. one of the things that, for some reason, had to be explained to me after years of suffering, is that you don't need to explain yourself. to anyone... you can just "let your yes be yes and your no be no." if she asks why, you can just say, i'm not comfortable doing that, i can't do that, i don't have pets for a reason, whatever you want... or just say, sorry the answer is no, have a great trip, i hope you work it out.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 10:33 AM on Apr. 21, 2010