My 15 year old ranaway last week and the cops found him. What should i do?

Papillon40

Asked by Papillon40 at 10:04 AM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Ask him why he ran away. Then go from there. Try to be calm, I just think that if you let him know that you are mad then he wont want to talk to you.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 10:05 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Fix whatever is going on in your home so he doesn't do it again.If your way isn't cutting it then try and compromise what you both want.Yelling will make him want to do it again.Not hearing him out and accusing him.Sometimes its just a simple message that could have been easily fixed if you had just listened....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I ran away when I was 15 and moved to San Francisco with my boyfriend.
    I ran away because I felt as though my mother didn't really want me there. She did, but we were mean to each other so it didn't feel like it.
    I would have probably stayed if I had felt wanted and cared for. Why don't you try to repair your relationship with your son before its too late.
    That's probably the root of the problem, the running away is just a symptom. Punishing him at this point is useless. he already feels like he doesn't need you, why would he sit around and be punished?
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 10:18 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Talk to him there is something going on. I ran away when I was 15 teen because my family was a mess and no one was dealing with it. If you can't get any wear try family counseling. Heaven knows my family needed it.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 10:47 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I have been there not too long ago with my 16-year-old, only she came home before the cops located her. She was gone 6 days. I was really upset the whole time that she was gone and worried. The professional advice that I received in her absence was invaluable. You have to let them know that you are willing to hear them out on what upset them enough to leave and that you are willing to work with any problem, no matter how big or small. That you will work with them, but in order to do that you must be able to understand the problem. Hear them out completely. Let them know that working it out does not necessarily mean that they get 100% what they want, but that we will work together to form a compromise. Really do work hard to form those compromises the best that you can. I also enrolled my daughter in counseling so that she had an impartial party to be able to talk to and work on her own internal issues. ...ctd.
    Anonymous

• ctd.....I want you to know that I completely understand where you have been with this. Please do know as well, that contrary to popular belief, kids do not always run away completely due to something the parent has done. Many times they have issues going on that we simply do not understand because they have not shared them with us. Take care of DS and yourself Mama.
    Anonymous

• I agree, talk with him. They don't run away for nothing

Answer by admckenzie at 6:07 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Family and individual counseling to find a way to repair your relationship and find out what is going on with your child.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:16 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Obviously I don't know all the details of what is going on in you and your sons life so I can't exactly tell you what you should do for sure. You could approach it two ways, you could take the understanding approach and try to talk to him and figure out what's upsetting him and see if you can come to an agreement and solution to the problem. Most of the time when teens do that, they are doing it for attention of some sort to see what you will do and how much you care. If it's an extreme case and you have the funds, I absolutely do not see a problem with boot camp which is just my opinion of course; but he may need to see that life doesn't always go the way he wants and that he does actually have it very good at home. It will teach him discipline and respect and if he knows you mean business then maybe he'll think twice about doing it again.
    BillsDead28

Answer by BillsDead28 at 7:14 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• why did he run away, Explain to him that running away won't solve anything. but talking things over with you , will help alot more. If the problem is with you. then talk things over and explain youself to him . tell him your not only his mom. but you are his best friend too, and you are always there for him.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:35 AM on Apr. 22, 2010