Would this make you mad?

Over the past few weeks, I've asked my husband a few times to leave work early or go in a little later so that he could attend an event at our daughter's school. (He's been away a lot for work in the past few years and hasn't been able to attend any events.) He always says he can't because he works until such and such a time or he's going to be gone next week so he really should be at work. So his boss called and offered him a ticket to an NBA playoff game, a sport that he doesn't even follow, and he was all on board. The game starts earlier than he normally gets off work. I'm pissed because he is willing to take off early from work for this but not willing to take off to attend something at his daughter's school. I know that those school events aren't very exciting but I still think it's important for him to be there to support his daughter and the school she attends. Would this make any of you mad too?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Relationships

• yes i think i woudl be a little mad and i would call him out on it !
    gfam6

Answer by gfam6 at 10:20 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• i would be mad but then i would think maybe he is trying to get chummy with the boss so he can get a promotion or a raise.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:21 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• No, I would not. You may not fully understand the relationship between him and his boss, and the boss probably views leaving early for the game differently than leaving early for something else, since the boss gave him the ticket.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 10:23 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Yes, I would be mad. I think thats a very selfish and self centered thing to do.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:24 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Hell yeah! Does he not realize how blantantly contradictory this was to his earlier statements??
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 10:25 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I would be really upset. I would talk to him about it, and tell him to explain it to me, because from where I was sitting it looked like he was just not going to the school things because he did not want to.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 11:03 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I think it is hard to leave work early for kids events. I think he should do it every once in a while but not all the time. it would have ot be soemthing big fo rme to leave work..i dont go to spelling bees or anything like that during the day but I would be at the evening program for sure! The game is different becaue his boss is offering im the time off. It is much different than going in and saying he is cutting out early. He needs to find a way to spend time with his dd even if is date night with her alone on a sat night.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:09 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Are you out of your mind! This man is doing the best he can for his family by placing the focus on his career. And in this economy who could blame him. Will he regret it later, probably. But he could just as well regret it now if he doesn't focus on income and career and you all are suddenly in a world of hurt. Tape the event for him so he can watch it later and be included even though he couldn't be there. Have him take the family out to dinner after the event to celebrate. All he needs to do is show your daughter that she is important even if he can't be there and you can help him with that. Stop wasting your energy being mad and help your husband bond with his daughter. Also be glad you can attend and aren't stuck at work at those times yourself.

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 11:13 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I would be furious.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Yes, it's totally selfish. You're not crazy or mean expecting him to attend one event for his daughter. And contrary to some opinions you've gotten on here, basketball is not more important than taking off a little early one day for his child. He is obviously not "stuck at work" if he is running around with his boss to watch basketball games.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:21 AM on Apr. 21, 2010