What all do I need to buy to breastfeed?

Anything to make it as easy and convienient as possible.
I'm making a list of stuff to go shopping.
And no, its not just an excuse to shop, LOL.
Thanks ladies!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It depends on how you want to do it...
    1. Boppy pillow for convince
    2. Breast Pads (playtex or Medela makes some)
    3. Nursing Bra
    4. Nursing Shaw or cover for feeding in public if you plan to
    5. Nipple Cream in case your nipples crack or bleed (mine did NOT)

NOW... if you plan to pump and bottle feed also...
    1. Breast Pump ( I recommend a double electric pump. Medela Pump In Style... it's expensive, but WELL worth the investment)
    2. Breast milk storage bags (medela makes some. I used them, washed them out and re-used them once or twice)
    3. Bottles (I used the playtex drop - in's... they were the BEST for getting ALL of the air out! and super easy to use!)
    4. Bottle Liners if you use the Playtex ones.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 10:26 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• honestly, not much, that is the beauty of it
    some good nursing bras
    some lanolin cream
    a pump and bottles if you need/want
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:22 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• lanolin, ointment and spray if you can find it. Some glass bottles (they're easier to keep clean) and if you plan on pumping it would be a god idea to get one ahead of time.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 10:22 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Good supportive nursing bras, nursing pads, lanolin cream, and a good electric pump. I used the Ameda Purely Yours, I got it off of ebay, brand new for around $100. It lasted for 2 babies. It was comfortable and the company was great to work with if I had a part break. If you plan on pumping and storing milk for later use, get some plastic bottle liners, the store brand is just as good as the Playtex.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 10:23 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• breast pads reusable are really comfy IMO,nipple cream! NOT the gerber kind..IT STICKS get Lansinoh Lanolin for Breastfeeding Mothers WORTH every penny. Nipple shields JUST in case. And a bobby or just a regular pillow.to put inder your arms or baby.nursing bras and tank tops.You can buy a regular shirt and just wear the tank top under.And a nursing blanket if you don't like exposing yourself in public :) happy feedings :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• a pump if you need it
    lansinoh or another type of nipple soothing cream
    breast pads (disposable or reusable depends on your preference)
    if u don't have a blanket already, that's a good idea unless you want to get a nursing cover
    nursing bra (but i'd wait til you've gotten all your milk in because your breast will change sizes for a while)
    i used to wear a cami all the time (the types that had that piece of cloth on the inside with the elastic on the bottom that held up your boobs) if you don't feel like wearing a bra at home.
    uhm..... i don't know.. i guess that's it....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• WOW i didnt proof read :/ it stinks and boppy..not bobby lol under not inder.geeeez lol
    Anonymous

• -A Boppy or Brestfriend pillow helps a lot
    -A few nursing bras, before my first baby was born I went to Motherhood maternity store and they helped me know what size to get, I got one on clearance there. I mostly got cheap ones at Target though, I'm too cheap to pay that much for bras. You might want to wait to buy more until you know if you like them and if they fit right.
    -Lansinoh ointment. I hardly used any of it, but it was helpful the first few weeks
    -nursing pads. I actually like the Gerber reusable ones but I always buy some disposable ones for the beginning.
    -A nursing cover is helpful although a blanket works just as well
    Thats about all I can think of, I don't know much about pumps all I ever had was a handheld one and none of my 3 kids would take any bottles whatsoever.

mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 10:28 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• You don't really need anything. That's the beauty of breastfeeding, lol. But some things that definitely make it easier are:

• nursing bras (or you can just pull up a regular bra)
    • maybe nursing tanks if you want to have something covering your tummy when you pull your shirt up (or you can pull down a regular stretchy tank)
    • some kind of pillow to support baby and your arms; I like my Boppy, some women swear by the My Breast Friend, some just use bed pillows
    • Lanolin if you need it for sore/cracked nipples; I'd get a small tube just in case and then get more if you need it
    • nursing pads if you leak; again, I'd get a few and then get more if you need them
    • a nursing cover if you're uncomfortable nursing in public, or you can just use a receiving blanket

That's all. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:31 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• i swore by the boppy for my first child, but never used it for any one else! i found nursing bras when first learning to breastfeed was more of a hindrance than a help. i like to wear tanks with built in bras for breastfeeding, and then wear a t shirt over them. this way the shirt covers the belly when you lift your shirt to feed. they make belly socks that do the same thing. i guess you would only want something like that if you plan to feed in public. my breasts never leaked, so i didn't need pads, but i think that is not common, you should probably get pads. i never needed nipple cream either, but you would want it before you need it, so it would be good to have on hand! when i breastfed twins i got breastfeeding shirts and dresses from expressiva.com
    congratulations!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:31 AM on Apr. 21, 2010