When breastfeeding a newborn, how long does it take before the major leakage stops?

I have breast fed my other 2 children but only for the first 2-3 months. During that time it became so frustrating to me for several reasons.
One reason was because the leaking got to be so horrible. I would wake up in the middle of the night to find myself,my bed clothes and my side of the bed soaked. No fun there. I would wear the nursing pads, I would leak right through! I even put on period pads and changed them often.
Anyway..I'm having another and I really want to nurse longer this time.I', figuring out my battles one at a time before I come to face them again,lol.

So, about how long before it slows down and there is more control or whatever so that I don't leak so much? Or does it ever just stop leaking and only come out when the baby is nursing..that would be ideal, wouldn't it? lol yeah, I wish.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I have been nursing for almost 4 months and I stopped leaking badly around the 2 month mark. I have heard some great things about lily pads, but personally just use disposable and washable nursing pads.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:31 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Don't know. I went through that for awhile and chose NEVER to do that again. UGH. I felt like a cow. I couldn't go anywhere, I couldn't do anything.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• It's different for everyone. Usually by 2 months your body has regulated. Try sleeping on a fleece blanket. it will keep you from soaking yoru bed since it won't absorb moisture. Stick through it. It can be a little rough in the begining but I promise- it does get better!!
    curlycupcake

Answer by curlycupcake at 10:48 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Mine calmed down the leaking after about 3 months. I used reusable breast pads (Gerber brand, I think) and in the beginning I used two at a time. At night, I wore a "sleep" bra (similar to a sports bra) with the breast pads. After about 3 months I only leaked out of one breast, while I was feeding on the other and then shortly after that I stopped leaking altogether (unless I was away from my son during "feeding time"). After about 6 months I don't remember ever leaking. Having my kids on a fairly set feeding schedule I think helped a lot! I fed them every 3 hours and my breasts got used to being stimulated at that interval and not in between.

Answer by missanc at 10:48 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I am 5 weeks pp and the only time I "leak" is sometimes right after I get out of th e shower, I think the major leaking stopped at about 2 or 3 weeks. gl
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 10:49 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I stopped leaking really bad maybe around 3 or 4 months. I still have to wear a nursing bra or nursing tank to bed, though and I do still leak sometimes when she's nursing, but not all the time and not a lot. She's 8 months old now. Usually when I leak now it's after it's been awhile since she last ate. Like first thing in the morning and again, it's while she's eating. The breast she isn't nursing from will leak. I don't leak any other time.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:27 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I just recently bought the Medela nursing sleep bra, and OMG that thing is wonderful! It is the only bra I found that would keep my nursing pads in place so I don't leak all over the place at night. My DD is 11 weeks old and the only time I really leak is at night. She typically nurses on one side per feeding, so if I nursed her on the right side at bedtime, the left side leaks at night. My solution is to either pump before I go to bed or try to offer both breasts at that last feeding, and I end up not leaking. The major leaking stopped around 3-4 weeks for me.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 12:23 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I always leaked, just had an overabundant supply I guess. I just got used to it. Sometimes it's not about your comfort but about what's best for baby.
    Anonymous

• It usually regulates by 8-12 weeks.

Have you tried Lily Pads?

It actually keeps the milk from flowing out all together. You just have to be careful with these and make sure that you are NURSING ON DEMAND because not allowing the milk to come out often enough can put you are risk for developing an infection.

Anonymous

• Uh, yeah..a mothers comfort IS important as well as what is best for baby. If a mother is comfortable with what she is doing and how she is doing it then she can and will do it longer. A year or two of being miserable is not going to make for a happy mommy.Happy mommys have happy children.
    Anonymous