What would you do ladies? To use or not to use?

My husband and I have the baby names picked out already. My hang up is that for the boys name he wants to use Marlon, after his brother that passed away. I think that is fine, but his two ex wives were also going to name their son the same thing when he was married to them. They both had girls, so the name was never used. I know its probably silly, but how would you feel about a name that was already considered by the ex wives? We don't know what we are having, so it may not even be an issue. I don't know if I should feel weird about it or not. I know its not about the ex's, he wanted to use the name if he ever had a son to honor his brother. I just wanted to know what you all would do in the same situation.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I'd use the name. He wants to honor his brother. I understand that you feel a bit insecure because you aren't his first wife, but if you deny him this for those reasons you will hurt him and your son.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I would use it.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:20 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• maybe as a middle name it reminds me of a fish
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Two ex wives. You picked a winner.
    I wouldn't do it.
    Anonymous

• I don't think I'd have a problem with using the name. It's about honoring his brother, not at all about the ex wives. If it was a name the ex wife wanted, and he decided he like the name...then I might have a problem.

It's great to honor his brother, but it has to be a name you want to give your child, if you don't want to call your child that name for the rest of his life, consider it as a middle name........

Good luck, and congratulations on your pregnancy.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:21 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• If it's a name you like I would use it. It wasn't picked out by one of his ex wives - it was a name chosen by your husband. My husband has a family middle name that he had always wanted to use for his 1st son (the 1st son of the 1st son on his side of the family has had this name for like 4-5 generations). He's never been married before, but he's had serious gfs - if he had a son with any of them, he would have had MY son's middle name - but I never considered not using it, it's a family thing.
    I love the name Rebecca. If I had a 2nd girl I always wanted to use this name, and it's a name I considered when my 1st daughter was born. I am now 28 weeks pregnant with my 2nd daughter, and my husband has not problem with the fact that Rebecca was a name that my ex and I considered for my older daughter. My 2nd daughter's name will be Rebecca Ann when she is born.

Answer by missanc at 11:25 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I think your insecure bc your wife #3. It has nothing to do with the name.
    Anyone woman who loved your DH would respect that he wanted to honor his brother. Im sure if he got down to wife #30 every woman who thought of having kids with him would agree to use the name.
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 11:42 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Well... I've always loved the name Joseph Allan so when my ex & I talked about having children we decided on that name if it was a boy. It worked out because Joseph was his middle name & Allan was my dads. Well Thank God never had the chance to have children with him! DH & I had our first son 18 months ago & his name is Joseph Allan! It worked out because Dh dad's name is Joseph. At first DH felt insecure b/c thats the name ex & I had decided but he got over it & figured out I just loved the name. Not because of him but because of our dads. So it all comes down to how you feel about it! And will you get over it.

I say use it!
    rebel07

Answer by rebel07 at 11:52 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Well first of all I wouldn't have married a man who has been married twice before. But since you already picked a winner, go ahead and name the baby after the dead brother. I mean really, any name you pick could have potentially been on the table for the ex-wives.
    Anonymous

• I would use it as a middle name just because its not a very cool name, no offense.
    It also depends on the brother. Was he a respectable person? Did he live a happy life? Is he someone you would want your child named after? These are questions you should ask yourself.
    Anonymous