One more question about discipline while babysitting....

Am I being unfair?

Last week when the boys were going home I told them we would have a treat this week. Well just today the 5 year old misbehaved pretty badly and I told him if he didn't stop I'd take the treat away. He continued so I said no treat.

He said that at home his mom gives him chances and that I didn't give him a chance to obey. Also, I think he might have a point because I promised the treat last week, so I'm sort of breaking my promise (I told him we would have the treat next week if he obeyed the rest of the day).

benjamink

Asked by benjamink at 11:20 AM on Apr. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• If the exact promise was that if he behaved the rest of that day, he could have the treat this week, then taking it away for misbehaving this week does sound unfair. But...his mom giving him chances doesn't matter. Your house (or daycare), your rules. He has to learn that the rules will be different in different places. When he starts school, the teacher isn't going to give him chances. It's good that he learns that now with you, instead of then.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:30 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• You do need to be more consistent. You also need to not bribe. AND not argue with a child. Set the rules, and follow through.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• you gave him a chance to obey by setting rules, he broke the rules so i don't think he should be rewarded for being bad...i think you're doing a good job JMO :)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:23 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Thanks!
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 11:25 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• i think that last week if the deal was be good and get a treat next week and he was good then, he did earn the one treat... you cant take it away after he earned it before. you can say no more treats or your treat will wait till you behave but if he has already earned it ... that is wrong to take it back.. he will have no motivation to behave if you dont fufill your promises. they become empty.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:27 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Thanks ladies. I agree. He earned his treat.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 1:03 PM on Apr. 21, 2010