Have you ever lost your faith?

My beliefs have changed, but my friends and family have not. If I let it be known....I may end up being alone....what would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I avoid talking about religion with my family and friends. Most of them are lax Christians, so there's no issue that I don't go to church. When someone says grace or a group prayer, I bow my head out of respect but don't pray. I'll still go to religious functions like weddings and baptisms. I still celebrate the holidays with them. From all outside appearances, I'm no different from them except I don't believe in God anymore.

If someone who I don't know well presses me about my faith, I'll tell them I was raised a Christian and leave it at that. If someone more personal asks, I'll either tell them I'm a non-believer or agnostic and change the subject. To me, faith is a very personal choice, and I try avoid getting preached to or lectured over my beliefs.

I know eventually I'll probably run into some negativity from people, but I don't see this as a valid reason to return to being a Christian.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:43 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• you should pm me. i'm going through the exact same thing right now, and i would love to discuss it with someone...

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 11:49 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• If your friends and family can't love and accept you regardless of your beliefs - then they aren't worthy of your company in the first place! Follow YOUR heart and ignore everyone else - they don't get to make choices for you and they have nothing to do with your relationship (or lack there of) with your God/Goddess/Deity/Self - YOU DO!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:08 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I lost faith in man made religion but I have faith in Jesus.

Answer by older at 11:45 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Sometimes, it feels like almost daily I feel I'm losing my faith. There's nothing that would make satan happier. The fact that you still think it's worthy of questioning tells me that you have not lost your faith, but require more than just blind faith. The closer your walk, the harder the attacks are to make us lose our faith. When our lives seem to be spiraling downward, it is an especially difficult fight to stay faithful to God and his promises. What I'm about to say next, I'm sure someone who reads it will attack. My beliefs have changed as well. I study, I investigate, I rip it apart to find the truth and no longer follow blindly and trust no mans interpretation but only what is revealed to me through prayer and study. Though I never even hinted to family that they should change, they fell by the wayside by their own choice. I don't like it, but walking closer to God does have consequences, both good and bad.
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 12:03 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Yes I was once a witch, lost that, a atheist lost that, and satanist, and I kicked that to the curb. Now I have Yahweh and I will never lose faith because he has proven himself to me before I even read his book or seen his miracles. Blessings..
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 12:35 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I am in a similar position as you, but I would say that I havent' lost my Faith, I found it!! I do fear that my family and freinds will shun that which they do not understand.  My "faith" or religious beliefs are just that.... my own. My religious beliefs have changed and evolved over the last few years and I really don't share them with my family just yet. A wise man, Gandhi I think, said "Be the change you want to see in the world." I think that rings true... live your life in the faith that works for you, at some point someone will notice that it's working well for you and ask about it. That is the point when it will be right for you to share, once you have lived it!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 12:45 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Yes, and I've been free ever since.
    Anonymous

• I have gone through hard times and have been discouraged before but have never lost my faith in Jesus. I feel that the difficult things that I have had to face have made my faith stronger. I wish the best for you.
    minasmama6

Answer by minasmama6 at 1:25 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Completely lost faith and a few friends. They way I look at it if they stop being your friend because of one facet of your life they were never a true friend. I am an agnostic/atheist, but there is so much more to me than religion or lack of. If they can't see that then I feel sorry for them. Family is family and my family is one big soap opera so I don't think my lack of religion has anything to do with them. Some talk to me some don't either way it's ok.

2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 2:37 PM on Apr. 21, 2010