What types of things do you think a child should know before going to school?

My oldest will be going to pre-k in the fall. I haven't worked on a whole lot of stuff with her, but she does know her alphabet and how to count to 10 (and a little past) and how to count to ten in spanish and colors those types of things. I hear so many moms saying their kids are already reading things at the age of 3 or 4. It makes me worried. I bought the Your Baby can Read program but my 4 year old doesn't like it nearly as much as my 2 year olds or my 1 year old.
I see parents teaching more and more to their kids at a younger age, I just worry that maybe things have changed in the 22 years since I was in kindergarten and maybe she will be behind all the new age early learning movement (not that it's a bad thing, I just haven't had the time with 4 kids 4 and under to really stop and teach her stuff like that).
Should she be able to count to 100? Should she be able to spell her last name (she already can her first)?

naomianne2

Asked by naomianne2 at 11:46 AM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son is in kindergarten right now and counting to 100 is what they need learn by the end of kindergarten. Sounds like your doing good! I wouldn't worry about it at all. I was really worried too... I do all the testing for report cards in his class and some kids still don't know the whole alphabet, sounds, or even your basic colors. You'd be suprised!
    shamillionaire

Answer by shamillionaire at 11:52 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• my child was 3 when she started pre k (she was turning 4 right at the cut off date) she knew how to count to 25 then started skipping numbers she knew how to write her first and last name then she learned to write her middle name like 2 weeks into school she knew all shapes, colors, numbers in spanish her address and her phone number....some kids in her class still don't know their address and phone number now (she is still in pre k)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• i would say she should be able to say her alphabet, recognize and write her name, and be able to count objects. i think behavior is more important than knowledge. as long as she has a willingness to learn, she'll be just fine.

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 11:57 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Going into Kindergarten my son knew: His name, how to write his name (first and last), our address, my name and his dads name, his birthday, his age, his phone number, how to count to 50, his ABC's, his colors and shapes, and important phone numbers.

Basically, they want kids to know the basics for safety such as family's name, address, phone, b-day and parents name going into school. Everything else, they will usually teach. Because not many other kids in school know EVERYTHING going into it. It'll be fine. You still have all summer, right?
    GothicMommy3

Answer by GothicMommy3 at 11:59 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Do yourself a favor and simply call the school your child will attend and ask them. I suspect you're going to find that their expectations are less than you think. Let's face it, the parents talking about their kids abilities are, at least to some extent, bragging (can't think of a softer word for this but you get the idea...) Kids don't need to read before then enter pre-K.. Parents are pushing their kids more and more but it isn't necessarily a good thing. Don't make yourself nuts.. Find out what the school expects and you can use the summer to deal with any gaps you might find.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 3:40 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• my son is in pre k now, and they work on writing his name, cutting, number and letter recognition, counting and the alphabet...a few other things too...but those are the basics.
    to get into kindergarten here they looked at weather or not your child could sit still for a story in a group, walk in a line, write their name (first letter capital, the others lowercase), cutting with scissors, counting, and letter recognition, and i don't remember what else. you may be able to look up your schools kindergarten curriculum. the kids here are doing far more than the state required minimums.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:51 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I would call the school, but it sounds like your daughter is right where she should be for starting pre-K. My daughter learned to count to 100 and read after she started to school, and she was advanced enough that the teacher talked to me about having her skip kindergarten and go straight to first grade.
    Anonymous

• Sweetie, don't worry. Once I met this mom last year at my son's school who asked what learning DVD's my son watches. She went on to brag how her (then) two year old speaks germanic-french (what the fuck?) and can play any song on piano he hears once. She asked what my son likes. I told her Sponge Bob. Actually we don't do much television at all but when gets the chance he really does love Sponge Bob. When I finally met her kid - he was picking his nose and eating it. One year later they are still both at the same Montessori school and I just don't see the Mozart baby genius in him she claims exist. Nice kid and all but I doubt he's seriously superior to all the other students. My son is three and knows most of the letters in the alphabet, some site words, and his basic numbers. He count to about 29. He can write his name and it looks quite a bit like it. But I don't think he is a super genius. He may

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:36 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• be but I don't want to pressure him or take all the fun out of learning. Parents who make every moment about getting ahead set themselves and their child up for disappointment. Your child is right on time developmentally from the sound of it. Send her to preschool and they will give you a list of things you need to encourage her on if they see any issues. When moms brag about their children......I just smile when I see the child eating his boogers and know that is a mom who is just blinded by love.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:39 PM on Apr. 21, 2010