Desert Dweller (Texan) being displaced to North Dakota - HELP! Tips, I need tips and information PLEASE??

Go ahead a laugh, I don't mind - but the furtherest north I have ever been is Memphis TN. We're being transferred to North Dakota for a 5 year contract. While looking at houses (via MSN Real Estate) I'm noticing that most houses have basements and NO AC.... I've been told that I "just need to buy the right shoes" - I have no idea what that means - and I've been told that the culture there is completely different than anything I've ever experienced in Texas.
A couple of questions come to mind - 1. Why are all the houses so OLD - and do they have insulation in them or am I gonna freeze my ass off even at home? 2. I've never driven on ice, or shoveled a sidewalk in my life - how do you learn to do that stuff?

And why does this feel like I'm practically moving to another country?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Just for Fun

• ND is not the end of the universe. I used to live in Midland (most of my family still lives there) and now I live in NE Ohio on the shores of Lake Erie. Compared to Midland, it gets frigid here. I live in a house built in 1918 and yes, it has insulation. The house you are looking at may be older but that doesn't mean they are log cabins or shacks with gaps in the walls. They just like any other house, just older. Having a basement doesn't mean you will freeze either, we have one....it doesn't keep the house cold. There's no AC because it doesn't get as hot there as it does where you are now. My house doesn't have AC, a few well placed standing fans and a couple of ceiling fans along with opened windows keeps. I looked up Minot, ND and it seems like Nov-March are the coldest months and it gets uo to 80-105 in the summer. I think it has a lot of the same history as TX (frontier beginning). Embrace it.
    Anonymous

• LMAO are you me? I currently live in Midland Tx AND we're being transferred to Minot ND =) My question about the basement is more of "what do you do with it" - we've never had a basement
    Anonymous

• It depends on if the basement is finished or not. We used half as a den and the other half was a workshop. The houses do have good insulation. You may have to wear a sweater in the house in the winter. Summers are not as warm as summers here. Go to an empty parking lot at night and practice driving there.
    Anonymous