What would you do?

my ds ask me for $15.00 dollars to get a book or something like that from the school's book fair I told him no bc whatever it is I am sure it is not worth I'd rather take him to the library or buy something more practical for him (8yrs.) old. Anyway he gets upset and stomps away to his room. The rest of the evening he was fine anyway when I pick him up from school he has this book like/game in his hand I am like Where did you get that? he's like I bought it, my friend gave me $5.00 dollars and I gave him his change back he said if I wanted it (the five dollars) so he gave him back 4 quarters he says. this did not make sense to be so I told him if your friend says anything about anything let me know I will give him his money back and you do not do this again you can not just take money from kids even though they r giving it 2 u. What would u do? All this happened on MON & TUE is when he came with this. Thanks moms

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Apr. 21, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would send the money to the kid even if he doesnt ask for it back. At this age kids want to help their friends and are so giving without giving it a second thought. The right thing to do would be to send the child the money.

If your son wants things like this then have him earn them, he can do chores and earn an allowance to pay for things. In my experience school book fairs tend to have some really good books and decent prices so if he wants to save up for that kind of thing teach him how.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:08 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• School book fairs ARE overpriced because it earns the school money. I let my son get a book from there he really liked (we sent in $ ahead of time) but then I found out later the same company (Scholastic) had the same book in their order for the next month for a lot cheaper.

I would send the kid his money back and make DH earn the book, taking it away until he's earned it.
    Anonymous

• Ooops, DS , not DH lol
    Anonymous

• In the future, give your child money so that he can purchase a book at the book fair. Find out if your child purchased a book or a game and send the money in for his friend whether the child asks or not.

The bookfair raises money for your school and the prices are generally far lower than the big retail store. Volunteer for your bookfair and take a look around. You may find that if your school is still using Scholastic, the selection of books is poor quality and the fair is stocked with lots of toys. In that case be sure to instruct your child to buy books only and also get on the agenda at the next PTA meeting to talk about alternate bookfair vendors. There are some small companies that put on outstanding bookfairs and will not send a bunch of garbage.
    Suzy_Sunshine

Answer by Suzy_Sunshine at 10:22 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I hate bookfairs. Every time the school has one I have to deal with my kids lying and stealing from me or taking money from other kids (because their friends gave it to them). I've even had my kids go in my wallet and steal $10 so they can get stuff. Last time they emptied their piggy banks (their whole life's savings) to get pens and erasers which were lost or broken in a week. I was so pissed. I don't care if they earn money for the school, I hate them and we can't afford them. I can get those same books cheaper at the book store.
    Last time I had to make my 9yo give back whatever it was she came home with because some other kid bought it for her. Then the next day she came home with something else that someone else bought for her. She wouldn't tell me who bought it for her so I couldn't make her give it back.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:28 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I don't know what I would do in your case at the moment. I like things like book fairs and the scholastic book orders. I wouldn't consider a book to be an impractical purchase either though. My son (7) loves books and loves reading. I do agree that things are often overpriced at book fairs but the school usually sends home a brochure with their stuff so that you can decide in advance what to get.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Apr. 24, 2010