Wheres my Dad?

When my son was 8 months old, I left his father and moved out of state.
He was very abusive to me. I of course didn't want our child growing up in that household. We were not married so it was easy to leave. He knows where we are but has not called or made any attempt to contact him. He told me when I left that he would get his son back when he was 5 or 6 because "thats when a boy needs his dad"
(his words) His father has now remarried and had 2 other children with his new wife.
NOW, my son just turned 4 and wont stop talking about him and asking me questions. Ive told him this so far: mommy left Daddy because he was mean to me (probably not the best thing to say.) Ive also kept it simple like YES, your Daddy does love you and he just lives very far away. Thats it. Now he's asking when he can go see him and telling me that he loves his daddy. And randomly he'll say "Im sad today because I dont have a Daddy" HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i was completely honest with my daughter in the same situation....he may be a four year old but he doesnt want his mommy to be beat up. he will understand that daddy cant be around because he beat mommy up. what you should do however is check out the big brothers of america program and get him a strong male rolemodel that he can count on.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:16 PM on Apr. 21, 2010