Do you defend your child, even when they're wrong??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:28 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Just for Fun

• When they're wrong no. When they're right, absolutely.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 12:29 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I used to but after learning the hard way that by doing that is only hurting him, not helping him, I stopped. A child that thinks he can do no wrong no matter what it is there doing is only asking for trouble. Of course, its always been my instict to jump in and "save him" but I was not doing him any justice whatsoever. Now it been a battle for the past 3 years to get him to accept responsibilty for his own actions without him blaming everyone else. "It's the teachers fault she doesn't like me" "It's your fault, you raised me this way" "It's not my fault" Thankfully I havent heard those words in awhile..maybe I've fixed him,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:33 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• no, when she's wrong I don't! If she's right, ABSOLUTELY!!! She's 2 so it's all learning and when she's wrong it's usually hitting another kid on rare occasion and I always jump in and tell her that is not ok! She doesn't do it until some other kid who still thinks it's ok to hit comes up and hits her. She then says "that's not nice! Leave me alone" but if they don't you bet I'm right there telling the little brat to stay away from my child!!! No reason to defend them when they're wrong, they still have to learn.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 12:36 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I will defend my child if he is right, and needs defending. If he is wrong, I will not defend him. HOWEVER, if he is wrong, I will first make sure he knows he is wrong and why he is wrong. If he truly didn't know he was wrong, then I will defend that fact, but not that he was wrong. "He didn't know he was wrong, you can't hold that against him. Now he knows, and he'd like to apologize" or whatever. I also try to encourage him to admit when he's wrong. The other day, he told me something and then insisted he was right when I tried to tell him it didn't sound right. Later, he did realize he was wrong, and he came to me and said, "Mom, I was wrong." I praised him for that, so he would know that it's a good thing to admit to being wrong when you are.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 12:37 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• No. I am usually on them before anyone else has a chance. I am bringing my children up to be upstanding citizens of this world. What kind of parent would I be,if I taught them that they could just DO anything at all??? My dd has told me that she hates me in the past~I just tell her that,that is a pretty mean thing to say but it tells me that I am probably just doing my job as a Mom.
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 12:47 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Nope, if they are wrong, they need to take responsibility for their actions and face the consequences.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 1:00 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• That depends. My DD is 18 months. If we were at the store and she threw some sort of horrible fit clearly that would be wrong and I would attempt discipline, etc, however if someone tried to tell her she was bad or address the behavior in a way I deemed unacceptable I don't know that I would defend her action of acting up, but I would defend her right not to be disciplined or yelled at by a total stranger. I guess I wouldn't defend her bad behavior or mistakes she will make later in life, but I will defend her from other people if I feel that is necessary even if the person may be right in the point they are making. I hope that makes some sense.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:48 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• If they're wrong I don't only when they're right. Hey, no kid is perfect and they have to know it.
    sweetmom1007

Answer by sweetmom1007 at 2:04 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• no. i want them to grow up and be responsible adults.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:36 PM on Apr. 21, 2010