Do any of you think it's okay to bring your baby to a bar?

I was reading Parent Magazine yesterday and they have their own little Q&A. One of the questions was if it was okay to bring their baby to their local bar so her and her hubby could have a little Saturdaynight fun. Seriously????? I don't want to offend anyone, why would it be okay to take your child to a bar? Don't get me wrong, I do not see a problem with taking your kids to a place like BW3's as it's a family oriented place, with a bar. However, I do not take my daughter to any place that allows smoking, but that is just my preference. But I can't imagine why anyone would want to bring their child to go have drinks, then drive home with them in the car. Drinking and driving is bad enough without your children being in the car.

bskelly

Asked by bskelly at 12:32 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• I took my kids to a bar once, but it was not functioning in its capacity as a bar that night. It was Halloween, and they set up a little haunted house, and were doing a little trick or treat thing specifically for kids under 12. They turned off the taps and were serving no alcohol whatsoever that night. Under circumstances like that, I think it is fine. But to take them into a functioning bar so you can go out and drink is not right, in my opinion.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 12:34 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I've done it. We wanted to go out with friends who we never see. Baby was sleeping in her stroller. There is no smoking where we live. I didn't drink. Why is that so bad? We had fun.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:34 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• well the reason its not ok is because thats the view of general society....however when i was growing up in montana where it is legal for anyone any age to be in the bar......people braught babies and young children in to the bar all the time.
    Anonymous

• overall- no, but everything is situational
    Anonymous

• I think it's disgusting. I am a bartender, I don't think they all go in to get drunk and drive home, it's just a horrible enviorment. Possible fights, music is obsene, just all around a no no.
    Anonymous

• Never during the night...thats usually when people go to get drunk. I have taken my son during the day to like a bar and grill place for lunch. Smoking in restaraunts are bars is illegal here so thats not a concern. A couple times we even sat up at the bar and ate and he would play on one of those machine games thats up there. There was hardly anyone ever in there when we went. It was during a time when my car was not working (for 2 years,engine had blown up) and if we wanted to do anything OUT of the house we had to walk...and there were a couple bar and grill places within walking distance.
    Again, Only during the day when hardly anyone was in there.
    Other than that, no I wouldn't take one of my kids to go hang out and socialize at night and drink,lol. Maybe when they turn 21...MAYBE. lol
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:38 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• It's situational I agree.

Depends on the purpose of going to a bar. My friends family owned a bar so her baby shower was there during the day. It had the space to facilitate her shower. So yeah it's all situational.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 12:42 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I'd just be way to paranoid of some overly drunk person falling into my kid. I wont even go into a bar pregnant cause I have fears of the what ifs. What if a fight breaks out and I get punched or attacked. Don't want to put my baby in that situation.
    shamillionaire

Answer by shamillionaire at 12:59 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I read a post yesterday from a woman who lives in a very rural area. She said that when they want to go out as a family the only place TO go was a bar. There were games and such there, the family would have dinner and play games and then go home. I don't see anything wrong with that. I imagine they would go at a decent hour like 5 or 6 and leave by 8 or so when the crowds come in planing on getting rowdy. She also said that if she lived in a more populated place with other choices she would probably have made a different choice.

One of my favorite burger joints around here is basically a bar. There is a small seating area as well and there are video games and things like air hockey. I see families there all the time.

Taking a kid out with you when you go out drinkin' - bad idea. But not the same as just taking a kid to a bar in the circumstances above.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 1:14 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• yes and no. I mean if it's fairly early and the place serves meals than a quick meal and out the door fine. No problem been there done it. If your going out drinking all night and its late. NO! A child should not be exposed to the smoke and the general loudness of a bar.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 1:29 PM on Apr. 21, 2010