Does the name really matter?

If i call it "The Divine" or "God and Goddess" and you call it "The Son, The Spirit and The Holy Ghost" and the people across the street call it "Allah" and my neighbor calls it "Jehovah" but the people next door to you call it "Rama" ... does it really matter?
Do you think the The Creator is so really caught up in the insignificance of names? If i accept "The Universe" into my heart as my savior and Lord do you think that it's going to be like "Well, my name is Jesus and so I reject you for calling Me the wrong name?"

I can't seem to bring myself to believe that the name really matters.

- Faithful4ever

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I would tend to agree here.... I feel all Gods are really one God in the end. I think it matters more how you live and treat the people in your life, not what name you call your God!!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 1:18 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• those are all different religions.....so yeah the name matters.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:37 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• i dont know if i can honestly answer this one, but from my understanding, but i could be wrong is that God's name is Yahweh and Jesus is Yeshua, Jehovah and Jesus are translated from another language, kind of like John is English translation for the spanish name Jose and Alexander for Alejandro, so, since God gave us the different languages, i think it's ok if I call him Jehovah or just God. The other names like Rama and Allah, are not of my faith and have never called him that and to be honest I dont even know where it comes from so I wont judge people that call God by those names. I rambled, sorry, lol
    Anonymous

• I believe there is One God, and that all religions relate to Him in their own ways and understandings. So I agree, I don't believe it matters what you call Him, or how you understand Him. I believe He's too incomprehensible, too transcendent, to be fixed in one religious box. I believe that trying to contain Him to only one religion, or one religious understanding, is very limiting to Him and His power and ability to reach people.

There is a place in the Bible that talks about needing to meet people where they are, and I believe God does just that, that He meets them where they are, through their various cultures and religious understandings. I believe He inspired the great teachers of the world to be able to deliver His message to their people in a way that their culture/language/mentality/history/etc would be compatible with, in a way that they could better understand....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:44 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Depends on your belief. To some those are completely different people.

To me, I believe all faiths are worshiping the same entity, but, it is shown to them in a different light so they can understand it better. So, one overall God, just presented as different names/religions/paths to you depending on where you live/how your raised/culture...Because we can't all comprehend it the same. Even in the bible god scattered the people and changed their languages and what-not, so, I think he changed all the other stuff too.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:47 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• @BandGeek521: Great minds think alike.....
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:48 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I believe our understanding of Him is constantly growing and evolving, because it is our understanding that is limited - its not Him in any way. How can any of us who believe He is Almighty and All powerful, that He has the power to do whatever He wishes outright say that, although we know He wishes for all mankind to come to Him, He is bound in the ways He can achieve that? Who of us can say that He isn't capable or willing to meet people where they are and find them through ways other than our own? We know that not all people are the same, we all have different understandings and mentalities, wouldn't He realize this in terms of our spirituality, wouldn't He, being all knowing, know that there can't be one faith that fits all of these needs and ways of understandings? Couldn't He, then have chosen to allow for different understandings - different religions - to lead to Him?
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:49 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Names matter to the ego. In truth, they do not exist. Nor does separatism.
    Allow

Answer by Allow at 12:51 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Nope. Mankind is the one uppity over names not the divine.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:56 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I think the names matter, but only because I believe those are all different Gods. So just like your son won't answer if you call him your daughters name - if you are using the wrong name, you will get a different God than you intended...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:01 PM on Apr. 21, 2010