Should I try again or choose another major?

My current major is Elementary Education. I have 106 semester hours toward my Bachelor's Degree. The Bachelor's program is a very intense program. I have had to drop out twice because of family obligations. The program has changed a bit, and they are trying to ease up some of the non-necessary course work. If I try again, I will only have 1 class this summer, 3 classes this fall (plus 2 days of student teacher, and then next spring Iwill have my 15 week student teaching. I am very nervous about going back in. I have thought about just changing my major to Criminal Justice. That way if something family related does come up again, it won't affect my school work. With the criminal justice degree, I can pick and choose classes that fit into my schedule. However, it will take me 2 years going full time to finish. Any advice or suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:38 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Money & Work

• do what you feel would be a great fit for you
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 12:41 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Oh wow, for sure go back. You will have a light load. I know some of what you took will transfer to the other major but not much. Why start over if you still want to teach? You need to put yourself first for a bit and get it done. Think of how proud you will be to conquer this.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:42 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Symie456, I honestly don't know any more. I could see myself doing both. I know right now, there are more law enforcement jobs open than there are teaching positions, but I am not trying to let that influence me because that could change in the next year or two.

Anonymous

• You should finish. Tell your family to keep their obligations under control for 11 months. If you can't finish 4 classes without something coming up how are you going to sign a one year contract with a school district. Of course you might find yourself working as a sub for the first year. They do that a lot in my school district. You can get a masters in another area later if you want, and it really doesn't take anymore work than changing majors would take you at this point.
    Anonymous

• I would go with the major with the best job prospects.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:21 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Do what is right for YOU! If you really want the Ed major, then go for it! Unless it is something extremely dire, then I would tell your family that they HAVE TO let you alone to finish your degree!

You could then do the Criminal Justice program if you want a backup plan ?????
    TeamJacobsCoach

Answer by TeamJacobsCoach at 5:17 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• What would you do with a criminal justice degree? I have a friend who has one and it did nothing for her. If you want to be a teacher stick with it and finish especially if you are that close.
    Anonymous

• Well, I just got back from the college and they said that I could not re-enter the program. They said that they only have 1 second chance reentry and I had already used it. Which kind of stinks because I did very well in all of my classes. However, I really am kind of relieved because I was looking forward to the criminal justice classes. I really want to be a juvenile probation officer.

Anonymous