Should I try again or choose another major?

My current major is Elementary Education. I have 106 semester hours toward my Bachelor's Degree. The Bachelor's program is a very intense program. I have had to drop out twice because of family obligations. The program has changed a bit, and they are trying to ease up some of the non-necessary course work. If I try again, I will only have 1 class this summer, 3 classes this fall (plus 2 days of student teacher, and then next spring Iwill have my 15 week student teaching. I am very nervous about going back in. I have thought about just changing my major to Criminal Justice. That way if something family related does come up again, it won't affect my school work. With the criminal justice degree, I can pick and choose classes that fit into my schedule. However, it will take me 2 years going full time to finish. Any advice or suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:39 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in

• I would go with the major with the best job prospects.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:21 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I would continue on if education is what you want to do. Teaching is good cause you have time off with your kids. maybe you can have an on call babysitter and try to get a support system together and just try to tough it out for a little bit longer. it sounds like your goal is in sight!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:43 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I would go with the major that best interests YOU. Find sitters to help you out and finish your degree. I used the I have family obligations so I had to drop out, it is NOT a legitimate excuse. Everyone has hurdles while getting an education and in life, we just have to do what is necessary to overcome them. Really, do what you like best because if you do something because it has better job prospects, you will learn to hate your job and regret the decision. I was going to go to school for business and changed it because I realized that I would HATE that field of work. I am getting a degree in Human Services and Alcohol and Drug Rehab and will be working with adolescent drug addicts and alcoholics. It is what I like and am good at.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:55 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• As a teacher in Illinois, I'd say education is a waste right now. If you live in a state where there is just NO DEMAND at all, which I do. If you live in a state that is hiring teachers, I'd go for it.

Anonymous