I think I need to talk to another teenager who has a baby.

Why did you choose to keep it rather than give it away or abort it. Are you happy with your choice or do you wish you had done something else. How did you know it was the right choice.

ClaireWithChild

Asked by ClaireWithChild at 12:40 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• ok i was 16 when i got pregnant with my oldest. she is 8 now. i kept her becaue i knew i was ready to be responsible. i got a job, got my own apartment, and stepped up. if you cant do that then think about the fact that every child deserves a responsible caring parent. if you cant do that then dont even try. if you think your are ready to be a parent, can you finish high school while working and taking care of your baby? or are you going to be one of those that whines about it and pushes the baby over on your mom? YOUR MOM DOESNT WANT TO RAISE A NEW BABY so if your not ready to be what a baby needs then find that baby some parents that are ready! i took care of my baby and watched my sister who was only 15 when her baby was born have everyone else raise her daughter.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:46 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• See, I don't know. I don't know if I'm ready but the idea of aborting it sounds horrible and I can't imagine what it would feel like to hand it over. I am so lost.
    ClaireWithChild

Answer by ClaireWithChild at 12:48 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I will tell you what. I waited til I was 29 and I was 100% ready and we were trying and I birthed a very hard baby that made me second guess just HOW ready I was... its very Trying and VERY hard and SO wonderful all at once. if you aren't sure if you are ready, then I will tell you, you are not ready!.. Yes aborting "sounds bad" but there are many other options also,.... Good luck.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:51 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I was 18 when I had my kid but I was a sophomore in college and married so I dunno if I am any help. But if you need to talk just message me.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:53 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I was 17 when I found out I was pregnant with my daughter, and 18 when she was born. She is 5 months old now. I didn't even CONSIDER abortion because that's just wrong. I considered adoption only briefly. I knew I could never give my baby to someone else. I knew I would love her too much. Fortunately, I had a lot of support. My parents, the daddy's parents after a while (they were REALLY mad at first) and everyone at my church. As soon as I saw that little baby, I knew that she was the best thing that ever happened to me.
    AirForceWife14

Answer by AirForceWife14 at 12:56 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Here's my story. I was 16 when I first got pregnant. I was in an abusive relationship, and I wanted to keep that baby so bad. My boyfriend forced me into having an abortion (thats a whole different story) Anyway, I will tell you that going through that abortion was the hardest thing I have ever done. Not only is it VERY painful physically, but it will haunt you for ever. It is emotionally draining, and horrible for YOU, not to mention the baby. (I'm pro-choice though) and when I was 17, I got pregnant again with the same guy...and this time I told him to screw off, I was keeping the baby no matter what. Now I have an amazing 2 1/2 year old. And I met a great guy, and had another baby. So now I'm 20yrs old with two kids, and its wonderful. You may be scared, which is normal, it's okay. But if you chose to keep that baby, I'm telling you the moment you see their little face, you're gunna know you have the strength to do ANYTHING
    Anonymous

• My oldest was born a few months after I turned 18, and she's now 14. I knew I wanted her from the moment I found out about her. I'm very happy with my choice.

The only regret I've ever had about having her young is the financial struggle we lived through. Her father still to this day doesn't help in any way. I didn't feel bad about it until I got married and had 2 more kids. My younger kids are spoiled and get almost everything they ask for. They don't even know how good they have it. My oldest didn't get the privileged life until she was 5. She's happy though and doesn't hold being a broke single mom against me.

Anonymous

• I have 16 when I got pregnant with my first and I lost it too the stress of everyone SCREAMING at me that I ruined my life. I still feel horrible and think about that baby very often. 3 years later at 19 I got pregnant with an amazing little girl who is now almost 4. She is my entire world, but shes a HUGE handful. She still doesn't sleep thru the night and shes got temper issues. But I woudln't change it for anything. But if you aren't ready you need to not abort but give it up for adoption. There are so many couples that would do just about anything to have a baby. You really need to think it thru before you make your decision.
    Anonymous

• rkoloms

Answer by rkoloms at 4:19 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• 18 when I got pregnant, 19 when I had him. Kept him. Love him. Never wanted it any other way. I know it was the right choice because me and my husband have done everything for him, we shower him with love, and he is our world. Even if we had given him to a family with more money, no one could ever love him as much as me and DH.
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 4:48 PM on Apr. 21, 2010