Being gay is somewhat of a "birth defect"

I am all for equal rights and don't care if anyone is gay but it does make sense that being gay is almost like a birth defect. It's not "normal" and it's something your born with. Like something went wrong during the process and that person came out a bit different from most people. Agree?

Not to say there is anything BAD about people born gay, just like there is nothing BAD about people born with any other birth defect. It just makes them different.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:41 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• From a procreation standpoint, being homosexual IS a shortcoming. Without the desire to have sex with someone of the opposite gender, you cannot naturally have children. You have to either go against YOUR nature, and have sex with someone you're not attracted to, or you have to go against the natural order of baby-making and use arificial insemination to reproduce. Neither of these things is BAD, per se, and I believe that the stigma on homosexual couples being parents needs to stop, but if you look at it that way, it really kind of IS a defect by that definition, Sisteract.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:38 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I personally think it may have something to do with the hormones the mothers body produces.
    Anonymous

• that is a good theory also.
    Anonymous

• i don't believe in it but i think it is a choice that people make for themselves and they use that excuse to keep down "drama".
    eva123

Answer by eva123 at 12:44 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I have nothing nice to say, so I'm leaving now..
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:44 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Anon, you are partially right. Statistically, second or subsequent sons are more likely to be gay than the first boy born to a woman. Her body blocks certain hormones from the second boy. As for women who are homosexual, I don't believe there is any correllation to birth order.

I do agree that it is somewhat of a "birth defect." It essentially makes you an inviable offspring (since the definition of viable offspring is having the ability to reproduce... gays still have the ability, and often the desire, but their sexual attraction to the same gender makes natural procreation impossible).

I too have absolutely no scruples about homosexual people, I want gay marriage legalized, I want them to be able to walk down the street proudly holding hands, I want them to be able to kiss in public just like the rest of us can without people being nasty. I hate discrimination based on sexual preference, but I do agree with you.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:47 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I agree with peanutsmommy1, what I'd like to say right now would get me kicked off the site forever!
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 12:47 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

why do people think that someone would "choose" to be gay?? That kids that show "gay " qualities chose to be that way before they even understand what it is! That is ridiculous!
    Anonymous

• While I do fully believe that homosexuality is a trait (just like heterosexuality or bisexuality) and not a choice, I would never refer to it as a "birth defect". As well, I would never define the attraction to one gender or the other "normal" or "abnormal".
    KarmicChild

Answer by KarmicChild at 12:48 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I think that some ppl do decide their sexuallity but i also believe that some ppl are born with it or it could depend on something that may have happened when they were younger
    Anonymous